Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Napa#447 ujoint doesn't fit...shouldn't it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by angrysnowplow, Aug 19, 2003.

1. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Napa#447 ujoint doesn\'t fit...shouldn\'t it?

OK, my Blazer is a 90, the 14 bolt is out of an 86 CUCV.
    I picked up Napa p/n 447, and attempted to install it, but it doesn't fit. Comparing it to the stock ujoint from the 10 bolt, all the dimensions are the same, except for the groove where the snap/clip rings go. On the 447 joint, they are too far outboard to get the clips into them.
    I thought it was a 348 for a 12 to 14 bolt and 447 for a 10 to 14 bolt. But my truck is never that simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Napa#447 ujoint doesn\'t fit...shouldn\'t it?

Mine was the same way.. The part number is 448 for the right one.. I went threw that.. I guess it is foir a 3/4 ton driveline.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. angrysnowplow

Dayum! 4 minutes later, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

LOL I know how you feel.. I thought I had every thing I needed for my swap.. Then I go to put the U-joint in and it wouldn't fit.. I had to take the driveline down to the napa dealer and do the measurements.. Then found out somebody had put in a 3/4 ton driveline.. Good luck..

5. angrysnowplow

At least I have another excuse to not mow the lawn. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I drive a '90 Jimmy and when I did my swap neither I don't think either of those worked. Went to the drivetrain shop and found out I had a 3r yoke on my driveshaft. We searched the Spicer catalog and couldn't find a conversion joint from a 1350 to 3r. Checked at the local spring shop and they informed me of the same thing. I ended up having to get some joints made by B'ham Powertrain. Sucks, because I could have had a shaft made for less than I have spent on these joints.

Hope the same doesn't happen to you, but at least you won't think you're crazy (like I did) if the joints don't work.

Lance

7. angrysnowplow

Ruh-Roh. I have a feeling this is what's wrong. Would it be a bad idea to modify the yoke? (Just a little bit, it's so close) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yokes are cheap. Have your driveline man slap a 1350 on your shaft and you can use cheap, redily available u joints.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif NOOOO, say it isn't so. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Who has done the 10-to-14 bolt swap and had Napa #447 work for them? Please, someone, give me some good news. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

447 dident work for me either (10-14) but I HAD to drive my truck that day So i pulled the caps off the 10bolt u-joint and stuck them on the 447 and it works fine but Im not sure I would recomend doing this

11. angrysnowplow

I must have the same yoke that Lance was talking about. I asked FatBoyBlazer (his truck is a year newer so I figured it'd be the same for him)what he did but he said he used the 447 joint; didn't mention any problems.
    Napa guys looked this up in their magic book and said that it called for the 447 too...makes my head hurt. All I know is that 20 minutes with a file works wonders. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif