Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NAPA Brakelines. Anyone really use these ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Dec 3, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I just got the NAPA brakelines per the p/n posted on this site. The rear line looks fine but the front lines dont look right for the caliper. The line has a wedged shape square fitting. It is recessed and the copper bushings and caliper seem to mate to it but it looks funky.
    My current one has a round Banjo fitting.

Wondering if I need a diffferent line??

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

They look like a little box? Chances are they are fine if you can get the brake's to bleed.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I just got the NAPA brakelines per the p/n posted on this site. The rear line looks fine but the front lines dont look right for the caliper. The line has a wedged shape square fitting. It is recessed and the copper bushings and caliper seem to mate to it but it looks funky.
    My current one has a round Banjo fitting.

Wondering if I need a diffferent line??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they're a little different than the stockers that have a tab on them to locate them in the caliper.

I used the same hoses as the Napa ones, I just got them at Autozone instead.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I used them, and they work fine, if you want, i can get you pics tomorrow?

5. 88Silverado

Yea..they look like a tapered square box.

If you dont mind..a pic or two would give me a warm fuzzy /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Also, what P/N was used for Autozones lines? I would have ordered from there (since theyre a block away instead of NAPA which is 15 miles across town and waited 3 days for them)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, what P/N was used for Autozones lines? I would have ordered from there (since theyre a block away instead of NAPA which is 15 miles across town and waited 3 days for them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Stock front brake hoses for an 88 Chevy C1500. You can ask them to press F9 and cross the Napa numbers (they're Raybestos number so they'll cross) if they're too stupid to look up the '88 C1500.

7. 88Silverado

Interesting....I had the guy try and cross reference the NAPA 38872 number and nothing came back. NAPA said these lines were for 1 ton trucks. Didnt see the C1500 listed for them. Autozone didnt have the C1500 lines for me to look at and would have to order them. I think autozone was like $26 and NAPA was $17. Just trying to make sure so I dont have to return these and get something else before I start.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah I paid $26 each for mine. Maybe I payed too much, oh well...I work there so it ends up back in my paycheck I guess anyway. Napa is a 20 minute ride or so and they close early, too. I needed them right away. Anyway, check my other post for the part numbers, I've worked 40 hours in the last three days and I've got to go back in 6 hours so I'm a little tired tonight.

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yeah they work, I had to crank down on the banjo bolts a couple time to get them to seal, I'd buy new copper washers too. Only problem I had was there is no retainer clips to hold the fittings into the brackets.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah they work, I had to crank down on the banjo bolts a couple time to get them to seal, I'd buy new copper washers too. Only problem I had was there is no retainer clips to hold the fittings into the brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]

They come seperately, unfortunately, I don't remember the part number.

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Have them try part# BH38621 AND BH38620 these were the numbers on my boxes of front lines. also says replaces wagner # F116846 and F116847

hope that helps.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Have them try part# BH38621 AND BH38620 these were the numbers on my boxes of front lines. also says replaces wagner # F116846 and F116847

hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, those are the brakehoses. I suppose I should have been more specific, we're referring to those little metal clips. They come seperately from brake hoses and I don't have the part number.

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm using them on my 91 V2500 Burb - had to grind down the square part to fit into my caliper but no big deal. Just put tape over the fitting, ground them to fit and bolted them on. Been running them for almost a year now.

14. 88Silverado

Thanks guys...that helps. I would suggest those part numbers for the hoses get posted to the "Post your part numbers" thread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Going to do the brake hoses tomorrow.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. 88Silverado

Got the brake lines installed today.
    That was by far the easiest mod yet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The hose would not completely fit into the support bracket. I used a rotary file on a drill and slightly enlarged the hole. The square (box) ends are secured from moving by the calipers tabs (at least on the 88 calipers). Lengths are good too.

I gravity blead the lines first, then a couple of pumps and all's good. I liked that mod. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tip: When removing the lines keep the Master Cyl cover on and tightly secured. This will prevent the m/c fluid from draining out while the lines are being changed (It creates a vacuum in the m/c) When your done and everythings hooked up, pop off the m/c cover, crack the bleed valves and go have a smoke. In a few minutes fluid will start to flow out. Make sure you keep the cyl full.