Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

napa custom U joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Sep 16, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, ive got an 84 caprice sedan/coupe 305/700r4 driveshaft that is length i need for what ive doen to the 78 1500 shorty with 10 bolt 8.5" rear, the U joints on the caprice shaft are too wide and too large caps for the truck 8.5" pinion yoke which is insane because the caprice has a dinky 7.5" axle

anyways, how do i fix this at NAPA ? do i have to know exact size of U joints or can they do this with vehicle application info ? i need to convert 80s car 7.5" to late 70s truck 8.5"
    the caprice u joints are the wide that are held int he driveshaft with the injected plastic and replacements use the inside snap rings and the truck has the narrow smaller u joints with outside snap rings

thanks for anything

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i think if you tell them the swap, they can figure it...

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

josh, yeah but do they go by actual sizes or do or can they go by vehicle applications ?

this is something ive never doen before, and if they have to go by measurements only then itmay get messy, would have to get exact measurements of width and cap diameters and such..
    see what im saying ? or not ?

if not theni give up and will find out the hard way, as usual..

thanks

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

are they the same size within the shaft? i believe they go by application, some other guys might know better than me...

5. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

I think they would go by application because that will tell them what type of u-joint each requires (i.e. 1310, 1330 etc) Hope this helps.

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

If you can't get the custom u-joint you are looking for, try cutting the ends off your old drive shaft and welding them to the new one. That's pretty much what I'm doing with my setup. The guy thats doing mine does drive shafts for big rigs and said he'd only charge between $30-50. May turn out cheaper than having to buy a couple fancy u-joints (+ spares).

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    are they the same size within the shaft? i believe they go by application, some other guys might know better than me...

[/ QUOTE ]

no, they are different width plus different cap diameter and everything, nothing is the same at all between them

thanks

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think they would go by application because that will tell them what type of u-joint each requires (i.e. 1310, 1330 etc) Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can't get the custom u-joint you are looking for, try cutting the ends off your old drive shaft and welding them to the new one. That's pretty much what I'm doing with my setup. The guy thats doing mine does drive shafts for big rigs and said he'd only charge between $30-50. May turn out cheaper than having to buy a couple fancy u-joints (+ spares).

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but then that could throw off balance of the shaft, my stepdad has a nice welder that could weld that easily, but he has never doen shafts before and i dont know how and it could end up crooked and/or out of balance.

thanks