Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NAPA number needed AND will this brake swap work...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

A guy is selling this: From newer chevy, should fit other years. 10 bolt, complete with calipers and disks. 3.73 gears with factory posi. COMPLETE and in perfect condition, low mileage.
    My question, I want to swap out the drum brakes and go to disc, will this set up work on my 84?
    Also, ordered from NAPA online twice and wrong part both times... I don't get it.
    I need the rear drive shaft seal for a 208 transfer case, 84 blazer. The drive shaft is leaking fluid. I have given the measurments to NAPA and still they send the wrong seal!
    The shaft that is going into the transfer case is 46 mm in diameter. Someone must have at one time or another replaced their seal. A NAPA part number anyone? Thanks!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The seal is a standard Napa part. I have bought it there before. Beware though, it might not cure your leaking problem. It didn't cure mine. There is something else you have to replace that requires taking the tailhousing off and replacing. I just let mine leak and fill it before I go wheeling.

Harley

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i also replaced that seal and it didnt help.. so if anyone knows what the cure is i would like to know. oh my k5 has the 241 t-case

4. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a bushing in the tailshaft housing of the T.C.. Replace this it might be your problem . I replaced the one in the 241 in my Burb and it cured the problem. It was allowing to much movement causing it to leak. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got a catalog here give me a minute and I'll look the part up for you.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

NP 208 transfer case rear output seals:

with SM 465 manual transmission - part #9449
    this is a national/federal mogul number and should cross no problem.

automatic transmission is 9613S

All these for 1981-1988 NP 208s.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, more than likely, it won't work.

From my research, 2000 was the first year of rear disks in the 1/2 ton trucks, and the axle housing flange (what the brake stuff bolts to) changed for the disk brake stuff. If it didn't change because of rear disks, it changed earlier, but it still won't work on "our axles".

Bolt pattern is about 1/2" larger (can't remember for sure, but I think the newer stuff is the one that is 1/2" bigger) which means that you can't just re-drill stuff to fit, as the bolt holes interfere.

Also, the axle housing flange was rotated about 45* on the newer axles, which means that even if you get the disk bracket bolted up, the calipers won't sit as they do on the newer trucks, which is probably a hassle with the bleeder.

The best option is to swap the entire rear end out. No reason this wouldn't work that I can think of, although the width is likely to be different and the spring perches may need moving. Still, moving the perches is going to be easier than retrofitting that setup to an older axle IMO.

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

241 requires that you also replace the bushing in the tail shaft housing...and grease the seal lip before you install the slip yoke...and the fianl piece if all else fails is to replace the driveshaft slip yoke...which i had to do all three whith my wifes 90 Burb...and of corse this is after i rebuilt the darn case completely...forgot to grease the seal lip...but did replace the bushing...so a total of three rear seals where used before i figured out the slip yoke was the culprit as it wears with the bushing...

DW

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The bushing is called the annulus bushing. Drivetrain.com part #201447

They also have the seals and everything else you might need.
    Drivetrain.com 208 page