Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NAPA Pump for TBI?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by ntsqd, Jul 27, 2006.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A friend tells me there is an external TBI pump for in the range of $50 I'm having no luck finding confirmation or a P/N. I did try a couple different search combos here. Anyone got that info?

2. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Supposedly it's known over on POoR as the "NAPA Pump", but with their search function disabled to mere mortals I can't find it. My friend found it there and is using it in a TBI application. Unfortunately he tossed the box so no p/n from him either. Why he didn't put it in the vehicle's binder is probably b/c he hasn't learned to do that yet.

EDIT: My friend found his link to the POoR thread. It is a Carter p/n P74017 pump.
    From: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154482:

"Carter P74017 has virtually identical specs to the E8153. 30 GPH wide open and 10-14 psi,"

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  4. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I use a Master for an '81 Furd F150 with 302. Don't remember the part number. It has the right pressure output for the TBI. It's an external that is super easy to mount along the frame out of harm's way. Been running it for several years, no problems. I'd recommend a filter ahead of it.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My '79 has a marine water seperating filter that I plan to put as first out of the tank on the '91

6. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

An Airtex E2000 pump will do the job, easy to get and easy to mount and will even support TPI setups.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't use a carter P74017 for TBI it is not the right pump. Not enough PSI or volume.You will get fuel starvation at WOT.
    You need this one for Gm TBI:Carter P5001
    I really would not use any other external type pump unless it is self priming and at least 20+psi and gear drive. Other kind of pumps may work but may have pulsations which screw with the regulator. You should use a pump deigned for fuel injection.
    Many aftermarket TBI systems use the P5001 when a external pump is called for.
    Just pony up the bucks and do the job right the first time.

Question about Aritex pumps. Are they self priming? I know ford uses the E-2000 but they require an intank pump to keep the external E2000 pump primed. without the intank pump to keep it primed.Sucking a little air and loosing your prime on a steep trail would kinda suck. 2 fuel pumps must be one of fords better ideas LOL

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Pressure might be a little low, but it's within the range of acceptable AFAICT. GPH looks about right to me.

No way I'm spending $138 for that Carter pump when I have a couple external Ford pumps laying around. Just didn't want to use them if I didn't have to.

9. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know this thread is old, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I had an E2000 pump, and when I replaced my gas tank, I never could get the thing to prime again. I even sucked gas right up to the pump and it wouldn't go.

I forked out the cash for the Carter P5001 and it started instantly after I installed it. I don't think it's worth the risk to save $75. If you ever run out of gas or suck air on the trail, you could end up stranded.

If I ever get to go on a trail ride in the boonies again :(, I'll seriously consider buying another for a spare in my kit.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

LOL hate to say it .............................But I told ya so ( well maby not you personally but I have been saying to use the right pump on here for many years)....................
    Use a Carter P5001.................. Not that ford crap. Or others that may have similar specs. They dont work on TBI.
    I am just trying to save someone trouble.( Or maby a long walk home)

11. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

CustomEFIs semt me that pump and I just trusted them. :rolleyes:

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Has anyone ever used an inline pump as a trail fix for a dead in-tank pump? Just wondered if it could 'suck' past the stock pump as a 'get you home' fix.
    I asked this a long time ago but never got a 'yeah I did it' answer.

Just wondering.!