Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Napa U Joints- Please Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Apr 4, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I got some U joints from NAPA, they are part number 534G. They are for the rear driveshaft, the guy said they are both the same. However, I put them in the yolk on the axle to see how they fit, and I couldn't get both C clips in. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this the wrong U joint? Anyone have the right part number? Its an 88 K5, 10 bolt axle, 208 T case. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

What do you mean, about the "C" clips. Won't use NAPA jonits here anyways, just Spicer. GOPHERKILLER

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Are the caps pushed in all the way? When I di this, I used a vice and used 2 sockets against the caps in the vice to press them in. If they are in all the way, maybe you have a custom driveshaft - don't know why the ywoulod change the u-joint size though...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Check the groove that the clips sit in, I had a similar problem with mine and found that the edge by the groove had been peened over, blocking it. Also make sure the yoke isn't out of round. You could also try lightly sanding the inside of the yoke (for rust and dirt) and using some light oil to help it slide in w/o beating the piss out of it.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It is very common to get a needle point bearing lodged so that the cap won't come down all the way. So, like 90K5 said, check and make sure the caps are all the way down.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I ruined a napa joint trying to get it in...
    Check by pulling it off and seeing if the needle bearings all fell into the bottom of the cup...
    They probably did...
    Good Luck!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

When I say C clips, I mean the metal clips that hold the cap in place on it. What parts store sells Spicer? Or where can I buy them online? It is not in the drive shaft yet. I just took it and test fitted the U joint itself on the yolk of the axle, like where the straps were off while I had the driveshaft out. I couldn't get the caps in far enough where I would have been able to fit the 2 clips on the inside. I'm pretty sure the caps were all the way down. Anyone know if this is the right part #? What would be the Spicer part number? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If you can't get the c-clips on then the caps are almost definatly not all the way down. Play with the napa ones first and get good at putting them in before you go buy spicer. Spicer's are good, but if you mess them up while installing them, then you have to go and dump another $40+ bucks for one u-joint. So if the napa ones are already messed up, play with them. Just my .02 [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think you can get Spicer U-joints at Napa.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

10. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Well, when I went to advance auto parts today to get some other stuff, I took one of my U joints with me. I got the guy to pull one off the shelf to see if it looked like the one I had, the one he had was smaller. I think NAPA gave me the wrong part. Gona go exchange them tomorrow probably.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

does napa carry spicer joints, who does ? do the boxes say spicer on them or fed mogul or ? black box, blue box ?

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I had that problem with a TRW box joint.
    after comparing the specs in my spicer book it was determined that the TRW boxed was not the correct size.
    took it to the store and they compared it to the book and it in fact was not to spec.
    measure it

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you have a real good parts guy at NAPA he might order some spicer u-joints for you...most won't. For the most part you have to go to a driveline shop to get Spicer parts.

14. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

yes those so called tough NAPA u joints suck. Especially the drive u joints blew up a set of them in less than two days once. Spicer non greaseables are the best or the new CTM

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well thta sucks, what happens if you live in a crappy suburb corn field town that doesnt have places other than auto zone and napa, and has no shops ? IL is full of towns like that, you know, and yes I am bailing out this state when the truck is assembled and reliable enough

thanks

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

CTM ? doesnt ring a bell, brain fart maybe, heh

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Never had a problem with my Napa joints, generally when a joint fails right away there is more going on.

I think the part number on my joint was 348, for a 1/2 ton 77 Blazer, think its eqiuvilent to a 1310 joint, not for sure on that.

18. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

NAPA u-joints are made by Precision. Yes NAPA does sell spicer u-joints. If your store doesn't stock them, they can get them from the NAPA distribution ccenter thet supplies them or direct from dana-spicer.
    The 534G is the u-joint for inside snap rings on the 88 and 331 is the u-joint with outside snap rings. Different O.D. on caps so they won't interchange.
    Hope this helps.

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The small local Napa stores around here always tell me they don't carry Spicer joints at all, though I recently found a store in a bigger city that carried them. The problem is Napa's price was way high. I was looking for a set of the 297-X front axle joints, most driveline places sell them for somewhere around $19-$23 per joint, Napa wanted $38 per joint. Needless to say I passed.

20. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The Napa 348 is a bastard joint (2 big cups &amp; 2 little cups). They are used when you put in a 14bff in a 1/2 ton truck.