Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrow rear axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EdO, Jun 22, 2003.

1. EdO

EdO Newbie

Does anyone know why the rear axle is 4" narrower than the front?
    I am running the stock 10 bolts on mine... is this the same for 12 and 14 bolts also?
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've heard that it's done in order to make the truck turn better. All of the trucks came the same way, the rear axle is a bit narrower than the front, generally about 3" narrower overall </font>

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistake you can get a 14ff out of a Chevy van that is the same width as your front axle. Not sure why the rear axles on the trucks are narrower though.

Jon

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Always been that way. One reason is to get it to track better. Another reason is so it can turn sharper without the rubber hitting the frame. There are others that think its so in the early days they could get the ackerman angle to work right with certain tire/wheel combinations without hitting stuff. I don't quite believe this one.

It's 67" wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface in the back and 70" WMS to WMS in the front.

Van axles are usually 70" wide in the back. I've measured a 12 bolt in a panelvan (windowless commercial van) and it was ~69" but I don't know if it was a custom axle since it had custom gas tanks. I've measured a couple van 14FFs and they are 70".

EDIT: mi no spel.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive got a van 14ff at my house right now that is as wide as a front K5 axle.
    -Harrison

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Always been that way. One reason is to get it to track better. Another reason is so it can turn sharper without the rubber hitting the frame. There are others that think its so in the early days they could get the ackerman angle to work right with certain tire/wheel combinations without hitting stuff. I don't quite believe this one.

It's 67" wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface in the back and 70" WMS to WMS in the front.

Van axles are usually 70" wide in the back. I've measured a 12 bolt in a panelvan (windowless commercial van) and it was ~69" but I don't know if it was a custom axle since it had custom gas tanks. I've measured a couple van 14FFs and they are 70".

EDIT: mi no spel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you measured but I haven't seen any 70" axles, they are usually 69" wide.

As for the reason why rear is narrower, it's so when you turn, your rear tire will follow the front track a little closer on the inside curve.
    I hope someone understood what I just said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    European cars have been doing even more, like 5" difference.

7. EdO

EdO Newbie

Thanks to all for the replies.
    Call me crazy here, but if the width was the same, wouldn't the vehicle track better through off road ruts? I've been down some rough backroads already and it seems as if the backend tends to move around tryin' to catch a good line. And who's really worrying about cornering performance in a Blazer anyway?