Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowed clip - Old school

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by cornfed, Nov 14, 2003.

1. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I havent seen any old style bodys getting hacked up so I figured Id share mine - Its still rough I just got the hood set on it tonight before I came in so Ill post a couple more when its done. You guys with the flat hoods have got it made - I broke out the very dusty hammer and dolly and started making my own body line to blend in with the one on the cowl. [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh yeah its narrowed 17" total. It actually looks really funky in the picture. In person its not that noticable without the grill yet.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

looks great man. As soon as its done post some pics of it in action.

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

now that sir is what I call an "open diff" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Looks like a cool project /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Nice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So I take it that the front hoop is replacing the core support? I had considered this also.

Are you going to hinge the hood or pin it?

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Reminds me of Steve Sharp's rig - but with Sheetmetal!

[​IMG]

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

looks sweet--i like how you came throught the firewall. I was thinking about doing that but i didn't want to tear up my dash JUST yet.

how are you going to mount the Radiator. (if indeed it will be in the front.) im thinking i saw it in the back

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

couldnt you just mount it in front of bars?

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

the reason i ask is because mine is mounted behind the bars (kind of in the stock location) and i havea problem overheating on the freeway. i need to make some sort of a shroud or get a realy good fan. i don't know if cornfed drives his on the street but i kinda have to and would like to get rid of this problem.

9. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Im going to mount the radiator behind the tubing. I had to lean it back to get the hood cut flat on the front. Im tired of the high horsepower headaches so Im putting a stock (for now ) LT1 from a camaro in it and I got the factory aluminum radiator and fans from the car also. Thats one reason I went with the tubing - I figured since I had to redesign the mounts and narrow everything I may as well start from scratch. Plus it strengthens and lightens the front up too. I really didnt have to hack the dash to tie it in, just a hole where the tube meets the down bar. The fenders each have 2 brackets bolted on with 1" tubing holding them to the bars from the cage. Im going to use Jeep hood hinges bolted to the cowl. It looks like the yellow one in the picture is the same way - I remember a picture of it in a magazine back when it had a body. I probably wont drive it on the street much now after narrowing it front and rear, but I really doubt that it will get hot since the motor was engineered to run fine with this radiator in a tight little Camaro engine compartment. Hey Unick I hope you will see some action shots too, it seems lately I just constantly find more crap I want to do while its down. I studied Willywanters thread when it was on pirate and got inspired to draw up and measure out a 4 link for the rear, and cut the rear frame off and tube it out, but then I realized I really want to go wheelin soon so that could wait.

10. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the reason i ask is because mine is mounted behind the bars (kind of in the stock location) and i havea problem overheating on the freeway. i need to make some sort of a shroud or get a realy good fan. i don't know if cornfed drives his on the street but i kinda have to and would like to get rid of this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Move up here and I bet it will solve your problem /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I like it! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Very nice!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think the first gens lend themselves to this a little better because they have a rounded clip. Looks good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

well wheres the finished pictures?
    that burb sure looks familiar are you friends with wadell?

15. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Yeah whats left of it should look familiar - I had it down at sand fest last year. Ill take a couple more pics tomorrow. I was at the SEMA show with Brian when we were b-s'in with you high rollers outside by your all your boats under the tent /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You headin up for a New Years run? Im shootin to have the burb done by then.

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah whats left of it should look familiar - I had it down at sand fest last year. Ill take a couple more pics tomorrow. I was at the SEMA show with Brian when we were b-s'in with you high rollers outside by your all your boats under the tent /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You headin up for a New Years run? Im shootin to have the burb done by then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was you but didnt want to put my foot in my mouth. I will be in portland on the 20th and randy over at outcast products is having a party at his shop that everybody is invited to if you guys want to go. then we are heading up to mt hood on sunday for a big snow run. hopefully we can get another group together to go to browns camp the next weekend.
    I lost brians number can you pm me with it.

17. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Heres a new shot of the front - I havent tackled the hood project yet but it now has a grill and some big ol Hella 4000's for headlights. Ive still gotta take it over and have the grill TIG welded back together.[​IMG]

Heres a couple of shots of the rear too - [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What that cell cost you boss? info on it?

19. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

The cell is a 20 gallon from Summit. It is one that is sold as a Summit part but it's manufatured by RCI. I think it was on sale for $170 when I got it last month (thats with a GM sending unit). Regular cost is around $200 I think. Dimensions are 24x20x10. In the catalog they show the pickup on the long side but it came with the sump on the 20" side instead. I put the Holley dual pickup inside so that didnt really matter on mine but it may if you just use the sump.

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

So what does the grill say now? "CHET"? Sounds like a good name for the truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif