Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowed Front Clip, Any one done it! I did

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smash metal, Mar 26, 2005.

1. smash metal

smash metal Registered Member

Hello Ya'll
    Im posting my first thread but have visited the site about a billion times. I've found that there is such a great deal of info that ill just ask what i need and hopefully some one can get me in the right direction.
    I have a 91 front clip on my 82 blazer, i want to narrow it, any body done it,have any pic's, whats involved and where do i start cutting? /////////

I started cutting here is what i ended up with http://photos.yahoo.com/smashmetal4x4, Go to the blazer pic's in the album toward the bottom

82 blazer
    91 front clip
    14 bolt,disk brakes,welded/ dana 60 still open/ 4:56's
    cross over steering with ATOR hy steer arms and PSC hydro assist ram
    63.5" rear springs
    High Angle driveline 1350 CV rear shaft
    350/turbo 400 with Offroad design doubler
    Offroad design front shackles with greasable bushings
    Offroad design rear shackle flip with greasable bushings
    6" suspension lift/1.25 body lift
    39.5 swampers on usa 6x6 bead locks

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hmm, there is a lot of stuff on the subject in the Center of Gravity forum. Unfortunately you cannot go there unless you are a paying member IIRC.:(

Try searching the garage....should find some stuff there too:)

Look here...........http://coloradok5.com/forums/search.php?searchid=49093

3. smash metal

Thanks, i figured the info would be burried deeper in the site than i would have time to search for. Im still trying to find my way around this thing too, thanks for getting me started :)

4. stallion85

5. smash metal

I sure do but im not a paying member, I do not know if a have to be to be able to post pic's. I need a little more time playing around on the site to get it figured out. I guessing from you location ( that i just noticed ) you must be military, Im pretty sure there are not that many K5's running around there unless they have 6.5 deisels and a 24 volt wiring system! Im currently Active Duty Air Force stationed in washington state.

6. stallion85

Ya, I am in the Air Force too.....7 years now, stationed in Vegas (Nellis) when I am not over in the waterless beach. I work in POL where do you work?:)

Ha, found you on the global....92 MXS? Are you a crew chief or what?

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of mine as it was nearing completion. I made the front a one piece tilt.

8. smash metal

Thats pretty cool, Ive been in for 7 years my self and have just reenlisted for another four, I still might make a career out of it. one of my good friends works in POL also, he's and accountant of some sort. He's got the shop and thats where we do most of our fabrication damage.
    Im not a crew chief, i do aircraft structual maintiance AKA sheet metal, thus the screen name Smash Metal!
    You must have a great play ground to go wheel in when at home hu! I was in south dakota before here and the wheelen was awsome there.

9. smash metal

Thanks, i can see you moved the core support back as well. Those springs look like they ride like a pogo stick. And is the a ford hi pinion dana 60 that i spy under the front end?

10. cybrfire

Your right on all accounts. The core support pretty much has to be moved back unless you intend on narrowing and stretching the front end at the same time. It is a HP 60 under there and those springs would have rode like a pogo stick however they have been switched out for 52's!!

11. smash metal

are those a custom set of 52" springs, Ive got some 63"s in the rear and like them alot, id like to go longer in the front as well. Ive seen guys have a set of custom 57"s made with the center pins moved foward to accomadate the front spring hanger, and of course relocate the rear shackle.
    I really want to leave the front axle where it's at, im tired of buying drive lines.
    What are you running for a T-case with that HP ford dana 60?

12. cybrfire

Not custom 52's. Just the factory ones. Front mounts were relocated and the shackles were moved a bit as well. Tcase is a NP241 from a one ton chevy.

13. smash metal

The 52's must have come off of the rear im guessing! and the 241 reclocked to match the HP 60! Im just courous cause i diden't think that a 241 could rotate that far and still be able to oil it's self.
    Stop me if im asking to many questions, did you have your 60 built for you application or was it a Ford 60 with a pretty close fit!

14. cybrfire

Ford 60 is a drop in and the 241 comes out of an IFS truck. This way the drop is on the drivers side ready to go. :D

15. smash metal

16. smash metal

What year ford is your 60 out of? i have a friend that has located a ford dana 60's i don't now what year. But he is debating cuaghing up the cash to buy it if it's going to be a pain putting it under the truck, you now how cash flow can be. You can s#@t in one hand and want in the other and wait to see wich one fills up first.

17. cybrfire

The only two years that are a direct bolt in for the Chevy are the 78 and 79 Fords. There are alot of newer ones out there but they are a ball joint style and spring perches are way wide. As in wide enough to make it difficult and to say the least way more expensive to put in.

18. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

I done did narrowed mine.

19. smash metal

Thanks ill pass that on, I do not why the manufactures decided ball joints are more beneficial over kingpins anyway.

20. smash metal

That looks ultra nice, I need to find more of your pics now to see what the rest looks like, Great job :D