Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

narrowed front end.... fireall mods?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am in the process of narrowing the front of my K5. Front fenders will basically be just skins hung on tube. Problem is, the factory fire wall kind of buldges out up top where the fender attaches and it really in the way if you want to narrow the front very much. What did you guys do to resolve this? Cut/weld new sheetmetal? beat it with a BFH?

I thought about just cutting the buldge off at an angle similar to what I want the fenders to do and then welding some sheetmetal (I have a ton of it, thanks to the truggy plan!) over the new hole.

j

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like you answered your own ? .......cut it on an angle and patch it up.

3. jekbrown

guess I was just wondering what others did... definitely more than 1 way to skin a cat in this kind of mod... figured I'd try to learn from the experience of others. Thats usually the quicker/cheaper/safer way to do things. :D

j

4. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

I cut them at an angle... I dont have tube to hang my fenders on, so i just used the factory mounting points on the fire wall.. The only hole is where the inside vent is. I am going to patch it up one of these days.. Ill try to get some pics.

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've seen the BFH technique used quite a bit.... then Tube instead of fenders.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marv

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Yup, Like Marv said. I didn't use a BFH on the bulge, I let the rocks do the work for me :)

7. jekbrown

awesome, thanks for the pics. I can't weld sheetmetal myself... by 55willy can and he has to come get some tires... :grin: Prolly look a lot cleaner than the hammer/rock approach. ;)

j

8. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    hey Jason, just wanted to tell you thanks...found your 52" front spring swap article very informative...will be running 52" springs on my Gen1 so it helped out a lot...i didn't know where else to post this up so sorry for jacking your thread...thanks again

9. jekbrown

np amigo, appreciate the kudos. I still need to finish the tech article though, lol! I got into the truggy project to the point where I have to finish it before I finish the 52 swap thing... oh well.. something this spring/summer. ;) :thumb:

j