Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowed front & rear daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jul 12, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anybody narrowed the front and rear of their K5 and kept it as a daily driver? I was thinking about narrowing front and rear, losing the hardtop and tailgate, gutting the rear and making a cab curtain. This would get rid of a lot weight and possibly help out with gas mileage, plus I've driven it with 6" and 35's for over 2yrs now and want to take it to the next level.

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going to see how long I go before I get pulled over. Maybe I will fab up some removable fender flares to keep it legal.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

:haha:

I gave up on gas mileage a long time ago........

I say go for the narrow job though.......

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I do, it is more of a truggy now, but my only rig. Check my sig for pics. I still have doors and will be making a cab curtain for this winter.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'm not for sure if I will actually gain any MPG but this guy posted up in the "Put your Blazer on a diet" thread in the Center of Gravity......

So I figured, it's possible..... :dunno:

When you do, post up some pics. I would like to see them.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im pretty dubious about that reported 5mpg increase... looks like 250ish lbs of stuff taken out. If that gave you 5 mpg, then I must be getting 25mpg in my K5 right now with no gate, interior, hardtop (chopped it) or doors. Not calling anyone a liar or anything... just doesn't seem very likely based on my experience...

j

7. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Yeah I dont think I would look forward to a 5mpg increase but I would think you would definately notice a little bit, maybe more like .5-1mpg better? Especially since you will lose some arodynamic efficiency(if a k5 has any to begin with!) by removing the top, but that would only affect you on the highway at higher speeds. But yeah, I would think it would always be a bonus to drop whatever weight you can.

8. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Damn az-k5, that is your DD? Your hardcore man :bow: . The cops must not be real strict with modified trucks where you live huh? Oh and I love your truck, nothing like a narrowed K5!

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Actually it is 100% legal in AZ. There are a couple of full on tube buggies that drive out to the trails (a good 45 miles).