Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowed Front ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camokrawler, Aug 20, 2006.

1. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

ok guys. i got my truck back from the towing yard and have decided to go all out even worse than before. haha for those of u that have seen the pics. i have the inner fenders lose and the grill out and the hood is ready to come off. what is the best way to make it equal and make it clean and look good? any suggestions and input is definately appriciated.
    thanks
    camokrawler

[​IMG]

ps-it does reside on 38's now. goin to 39s on h2 rims after the axle swap with the new rancho coil overs

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

axle swap as in rear or front? I believe I see a 10 bolt in both locations... What end is getting coilovers?

3. camokrawler

its gettin coil overs front and rear. with a custom link setup and a d60 front and 14 bolt rear. both packin detroits and 4.88s but that is for this winters project right now i have the front end torn apart to narrow it. i was thinkin cut all to way just to where the hood has the groove and start at that at the front and curve it to about 2 in. shy of the back of the outside edge.
    input soon please.
    thanks

4. camokrawler

sandman i saw the front of ur blazer and its sweet could u throw me some pointers and dos and donts. if so it is greatly appriciated. btw nice rig
    camokrawler

5. camokrawler

c'mon i know somebody has some input. i need to figure this out so i can have put back to gether by this weekend...make it easy on me

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

not exactly following ya, but here is what i did.

I cut out 8 3/4" from between the rad and headlight buckets. welded the headlight buckets to the rad support. then cut the inside of the fender all the way down. cut a pie shape on the top of the fender and one little slit on the outside of the fender where the curve up to the hood. fold the fender to the rad support and weld away. the bolts dont line up anymore so i just welded the crap outof mine.

7. camokrawler

scooby will u put up pics. but not the attached ones because i'm not a paying member yet. if so it will be most appriciated. and did u cut 8 3/4 out of both sides or the middle or like 4 out of each side between headlight buckets and center?
    thanks

8. SCOOBYDANNN

8 3/4 from each side. mine is a 74 so it might be different. i need to get some pics for a bunch of people so mabye tomarrow.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

save yourself some time and just tube it. Its headed that way anyway. I dunno how many cut off wheels, sawzall blades and hours I wasted trying to "half ass it" by keeping sheetmetal. Tube or death. You know you want it. :grin:

j

10. camokrawler

can u put up pics of how u tubed it pleez...my truck gonna be headed all kinds of ways

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just started the tube work, so there ain't much to look at. There will be a build-up thread very soon though. I've been taking a ton of pics.

j

12. SCOOBYDANNN

I did that to my last truck and didn't really care for it. but to each their own.

13. SCOOBYDANNN

here is a pic of my last truck tubed out. The truck would go anywhere but I like the look of a full bodied (even if it is just skins)truck.

[​IMG]

this is my friends truck. He cut the fender completly off right at the hinge, and cut the radiator support like I described (just not as much) his definately looks better but im worried about a good hit and it coming apart.

[​IMG]

here is what i did (but in pictures.)

here is the radiator support welded to the headlight bucket.
    [​IMG]

the inside of the same seam

[​IMG]

where i cut the triangle out of the top of hte fender.

[​IMG]

where I cut the slice out of the outside right where the blue meets white.

[​IMG]

and the inside of that seam

[​IMG]

that square tubing you see on the last pic is welded all the way around the front clip and holds the hood down--just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

It is more work than just tubing it up but i personally like the look much better.

hope this helps

Dan

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

how much home work have you done on the ranchos?

4wheelers supply seels them for 800 for a pair, resivoir and coild included.

I cant stand how cheap they look, not much info out their on them, just a few topics on pirate,

I ended up buying the sway away coil overs last week, for a great price

pm me if you would like the info, about 1150.00 shipped.

15. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yikes when i hear the price of coilovers i rememer why i stay with leaf springs.

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

the sad part is the links and rod ends cost more then the coil overs...:eek1:

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

wow, ill stick with 56's and 64's thank you :)

18. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ended up tearing it all off as the sheetmetal was still heavy and going tube. Its better and it doesnt rattle around as much. Still kept the front end looking like a blazer though.

BTW: if you look in the latest Petersons around page 74 or 75, you'll see it :D

Buildup Thread:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160396

Latest Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love it and would recomend it to anybody. The weight loss alone made a huge difference in performance. I can go places now that I could only look at before. I also still have room for a backseat for the kids.

19. camokrawler

wow...yalls stuff turned out really good. i think i'm gonna go out and pull my core support and start to measuring. already got the hood off and the inner fenders off and the front bumper off and headlights out. i'll get some pics tomorrow of what i came up with. thanks guys and keep postin ur pics as this is an on goin project. i think i'm gonna use 4 half inch hood pins to hold my hood on or do u think i should use the stock hinges?
    thanks
    camokrawler

20. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

In my last go around, I pinned my hood. I also skinned it down and it turned out really light and was easy to take on and off. It was cut down enough that the stock hinges were gone anyway. My entire fender tapered in and did not have a bend in it.

Seems that each one is a custom job anyway and you'll end up figuring it out. :D