Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowed/tapered rear with half cab top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Nov 19, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So who has narrowed/tapered the rear of their K5 AND LEFT the half cab portion? I want to be able to have a roof over my head for the highway driving but still want to keep the rear sheetmetal attached to the cab portion. My plan is to have the "bend" so to speak start right behind the cab, without putting a crease in the outside sheetmetal. I know I want to skin the rear so I'm thinking the outer sheetmetal will just be able to bend back hoopefully without putting a crease in it and have the tailights end up on the outside of the frame in the rear. Has anyone done this with success? If so what metal did you cut out in order to make that work?

Pics are great.

I've also seen mikey and bozowise taper jobs. However not exactly what I am looking for but good information.

Yes I have searched and found some good pictures but not been able to find any information for specifically what I am wondering.

Thanks

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Have you done a search??

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Have you read my post?

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Wish I could help... Im narrowing/bobbing the rear of my K5.. but Ive already chopped my hardtop. I liked having the hardtop over my head too... but I like the idea of having my full cage removable even more...

j

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I know this truck has a narrowed rear end. That's me in the passenger seat.

[​IMG]

The owner of the truck is not a member here. You can see more pics of the truck here: Click this link It's pretty much the only yellow truck, and it's pretty easy to spot.

Hope that helps, there doesn't seem to be a crease. Sorry I can't tell you how he did it, I just know it's narrowed in the rear because he had just done it before the Blazer Bash.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have, and it is now a truggy with the half cab still (I like the roof over my head deal) and I also have functioning doors and windows. Pics are in my sig.

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

AZ

Did you actually have the rear tapered before you cut the rear quarters off and did you make any relief cuts in the top of the bedside to get the besides to taper in?

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes I did have to make a full cut on the inside bed wall and a small triangle on the top of the bed rail. I never had full quater panels narrowed, just the half ones. It is the same idea though as I kept the fender wells and floor. I do really like having the back bobbed and narrowed now.

10. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I narrowed the front and rear on my jimmy also.
    I started the rear taper just in front of the wheel wells.

There are several pics in my webshots showing where I cut it.

[​IMG]