Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowest track width possible for D60 frt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ned Kelly, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is the narrowest track width I could get on a D60 frt using a 8" wide rim? I figure I could run about 5" BS and still have about 1/2" clearance to the tie rod. Ideally I'm trying to achieve a 63" track (center to center) if I can. I want to run a 36" or 38"/12.50 tire if I can. Maybe a Q78-16 if I have to.

My other option is to cut down the drivers side axle tube and shaft, but just checking if I can get close to 63" with custom rims (since I need rims anyways) and not shorten the axles.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a dodge 60 in my truck and it matchs the 14ff in the back without any spacers, my rims are h1's so they are at 8.25"s wide and with 39.5"TSLs my total width is 82"s, heres a pic.

[​IMG]

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

17" wheels

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thats what i was thinking, you gotta get a pretty big wheel so you can tuck the tierod end inside.

5. Ned Kelly

I just looked at my current setup. Looks like a 5"bs rim would be the max. Thanks for the replies.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Even with 17's I think it would be hard to get down to 63" track width when the wms-wms measurement is 69.5"..... I thought I read somewhere that you still have issues with the stock tie rod mount with the 17"wheels..??.. You'd need to cut it down. BUt even cutting down the long side 3" is only going to get you down to 66.5"....

You putting this under a K5 or something like a Toyota?

I'll be dealing with this soon. To come close to matching the rear and get my perch width to match my Toy, I could cut the long side down 3".... But I want to run hummer wheels with DRW hubs. So I figure I am goign to have to cut the long side down 5" and the short side 2"........... :crazy:

7. Ned Kelly

I wanted to put in under a Dodge M37. Pin to pin measurement on the front springs is 28 3/4". I was just figuring if I could do it without cutting the axle down. Looks like I would have to cut down the long side by 3 1/2" to fit it.

8. Emmettology 101

If you cut down the long side by 3", that will give you a perch with of 29" which will be close enough... Same as the guys with the Toys do...

9. Ned Kelly

What's a good place to get a shortened frt shaft from? I haven't checked into this yet. A stock strength shaft would be ok for my use.

10. Emmettology 101

Do you know if you have the necked down shafts or the good 81(or so) + shafts? If you have the non-necked down shafts, you could get that side cut and resplined at Moser Engineering... I think it's about $50 for one shaft.

11. Ned Kelly

I have the non-necked down shaft. Thanks for the info, good to know the approximate cost I'm looking at.

12. Emmettology 101

Just double checked their site and it lists one axle at $55 and a pair(at the same time) for $95... :thumb: