Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowing a full width body

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Oct 25, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm thinkin it would be fun, neat and a pain in the ass to narrow a fullsize body for a trail truck. I know an s10 cab would be easier but fullsize cabs are easier to come by and look cooler anyway. By my thinking, the biggest hurdles would be the tranny hump, seat mounting, glass and body mounts. Mounting the seats to tube runners would not be hard since alot of people do that anyway. The tranny hump seems like it would be easy enough to fabricate, you could even make it removeable while you're at it. As far as glass goes, I wouldnt have a clue what to do. Body mounts seem like they wouldnt be hard to fabricate but I've never tried so I'm just spit-ballin here. Any thoughts, suggestions or idears (as Paul Sr. likes to say).

P.S. I do recall seeing a skinny cab a member purchased a long time ago, they said it was used in an orchard or something.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

As far as the tunnel goes,narrowing things doesnt mean ya have to take it outa the middle.You could section the floor on either side of it if ya wanted to.

And the windshield,you could take the width out of the middle.You can cut laminated glass.The narrowed truck you are talking about had a seam down the middle of the windshield.You could just seal the split with silicone or maybe a metal strip of some sort like 40s and 50s trucks.

:D

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Anyone else?

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think it'd be all that hard. The dash, firewall, and all the components under the dash would be the worst to deal with though. If you're good at welding sheetmetal, go for it.