Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowing done, winch mounted, shocks mounted...next weekend I get to destroy it!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Oct 16, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, the weekend was fairly productive even though I spent most of Saturday recovering from Friday night. Next weekend I'm going to Gilbert off road park with a group of guys to thrash on it and see what it will do.

Made a redneck spare tire holder last weekend, it's a Chevy 1/2 ton rotor and it centers itself perfectly in the rim. The tire is a 39" Firestone All Terrain T/X.
    [​IMG]

Got the rear shocks mounted, props again to DIY4X and Black Mesa Offroad for the tabs and shock absorbers. Mounted them factory style because it's not flexy enough right now to warrant an inboarded setup.
    [​IMG]

Had the winch mount cut and welded. Mounted up with minimal hassle.
    [​IMG]

Not too bad on approach angle either. I could have done a little better but I'm happy with it.
    [​IMG]

Painted it flat black and cut the factory bumper to fit around it. I've lost count of how many times I've hacked my bumpers now. Yep, I know everything looks crooked, I promise it's not. I went nuts on the grille and screwed it up bigtime....anybody have one they'd wanna send for free? :doah:
    [​IMG]

A decent shot of the rear chop, still needs to be bolted in a couple of places but it's good enough to thrash on. Took ~10.5" out of each side, should help me keep the fenders outta the trees.
    [​IMG]

I think I'm gonna take 2" of height out of the rear to even it out a little bit, the tires should still stuff just fine because of the taper job. Feel free to voice your opinion on that one since I'm still kind of up in the air about it.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about all the pics, had to let somebody know I was still wrenching and not just a CK5 web wheeler. :D

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

wow....i like it alot... :bow: keep up the good work. post some action pics with some body damage!

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Nice job Mike, I envy you. :bow:

4. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

Really love the rear taper,makes your truck look mean.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks real good mike! so i guess the hard top is off for good now...any plans to custom fab a soft top for it or something?

6. mikey_d05

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm sure there will be plenty of body damage next weekend since I'll be running with Jeepers and an S10 or two.

The hard top is definitely gone for good...now my only question is whether to rig up a soft top that goes all the way back, or a cab curtain style barrier. Either way it probably won't get done for a while but I doubt I'll have much time to wheel this winter anyways.

Anybody have thoughts on whether or not to drop the rear 2"?

7. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

on lowering it...i think it looks good the way it sits right now.

8. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Man, nice work, cant wait to see some pics of the wheeling trip. Sweet truck..

9. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Its about time your welding buddy came through :rolleyes: You better get that thing upside down next weekend, if not dont even bother posting pictures :wink1:Anywho Looks sick man, keep it up... only thing thats missing is some body-damage to cover up those hideous flames :p:

10. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

wow awesome job

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

12. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Sweat. Jealous... The back looks fine too, no need to drop it down another 2 inches in my mind. Looks good. :bow:

13. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

damn nice job ;D

14. mikey_d05

My welding buddy didn't come through...I paid another guy to do it and my "buddy" still owes me a favor. I'm hoping next weekend will be flat out awesome. I probably won't have much time to wheel this winter so I really don't care all that much if I break it. You might just get your wish of upside down pics. :p:

Oh yeah, you like my flames and you know it. Now if only I hadn't painted such an intricate design on the hood where nobody but myself and people taller than me can see it. :doah:

15. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

very nice job!!

any plans with the front?

16. mikey_d05

I'm considering doing the front. I really like how clean a lot of them come out (including yours) but it'd be a lot more work than the back. We'll see how much time I have over Christmas vacation, I might have to fire up the sawzall again...and by then I'll have a welder.

Is there a good way to keep your inners while narrowing the front? I pretty much need them for the terrain around here.

17. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

keeping the inners will be alot of work. i really don't think you can use the stockers. maybe some can be made to fit though.

like you said the front does take alot of work and really think things through before you start. when i started mine i thought that i might of ruined my truck, but i stuck with it and i really like the way it came out.

18. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

some of my friends have theres narrowed and they use 18 wheeler mud flaps as inner fender wells. there flexible and easy to form to fit. cut them to fit. they didnt wana waste time trying to cut and form the stock ones to fit. they keep mud out of the engine very well

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Looks good...can't wait to see the broken pics. :D

20. mikey_d05

That's an awesome idea NAPA has a whole rack of 'em, cheap and huge, and thick enough that a bolt and a washer would hold them in very well. Looks like I might tackle the front this winter. :eek1: