Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowing Front Clip Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm500hprat, Jul 28, 2005.

1. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering what was involved in the narrowing of the front end. This weekend as I was pulling out my front fender wells I was looking at the front clip and it looks like when you bend the front fenders in. You have to move the front core support back? In that case it seems you will also have to get rid of your standard fan and run an electric one because it doesnt look like there will be room? Also what aluminum radiator to run if narrowed. If anybody has done this please let me know.

Thanks in advance, Art

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im just starting my narrowing project so Im not an expert by any means... but yeah if you narrow the front fenders the grill etc is going to pull back closer to the cab. The more you narrow, the further it will move. If one wanted to do a lot of body work, you could lengthen the outter fenders and leave the grille etc where they are stock. Personally, now that I have my grill/headlights/horns/lights etc off, it looks like it will be a LOT easier to do the narrowing if I just build a custom tube core support and base everything off of that rather than trying to cut/bend/weld parts of the factory one back together. The only stock part I plan on re-using in the core support will be the metal right behind the headlights. Everything else will be tube and custom. This might take more time, but I think it will look a lot better and be a lot stronger when I'm done.

j

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's exactly how I plan to do mine. I can tie this into the underhood tube work that's there for my coils and back into the cage. This will also give attachment points for the fenders.

4. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

thats how Stephen from ORD did his rig. Thats how id like to do mine. He's using tubing that ties into the cage as his radiator support. His fenders and hood meet flush with a small section of whats left of his grill in front of the tubing that is the radiator support. I noticed he is using an aftermarket aluminum radiator that is only as wide as the frame. I didnt notice whether he still had a standard fan. Should I assume that he is using an electric fan.

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

can one of you please take alot of photos of this mod. it would help out others(me :D ) that are interested in doing this mod but are not yet at the point in their(my :D ) project. thank you guys.

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Sure bro, I plan on the whole operation being a feature at the OFN

KP

7. rdn2blazer

cool, i get that channel! :D :p:

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

LOL, I wish it was syndicated, maybe it would be making me some money for a change :haha: Till then it's just a lonely ol website hoping for the bigtime :D

9. rdn2blazer

cool beans man, good luck with the mod, wish i could be there to give ya a hand. :waytogo:

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm only 1/2 way across the country, what's stopping ya :D :haha:

KP

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, I am photo-documenting everything I am doing also. I plan on posting it in the ck5 tech section along with the 52" spring swap article I did, if Steve will let me. ;)

j

12. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

i just got front taper finished. i used the core support but use 1-1/2 sq to reconnect the fenders. still need to connect roll cage to new core support to reduce frame twist. depending on how much taper you want you can just skin out the fender and not kink them in. i only wasted one set of fenders before i figured this out. i went from stock to 52". i will get some pics to ya

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bent my fenders ~22" from the rear of the fender. That's about as short as you can go and keep the stock hood hinges. You need to keep 32" if you're going to keep the stock hood springs.

I spreaded the "bend" of the fender over 5" so it doesn't look like your typical "hack and kink" narrow job. I cut the back side of the fender out. I'll reweld it back in once I pull the fenders back off. I'm kind of looking for another set to narrow and taper so I can have a set of fenders whose insides aren't rotted out.

I made my core support 41" wide and 18" tall (outside measurements) and it rests 1/4" off the frame. My core support sticks out from the fenders. I had to do this or I couldn't taper the front or else I'd need like a 13" tall radiator due to the frame raising and the steering box in the way. As it is, my core support is cut out around the steering gear. My cab is moved back 3" and the motor is moved back 2.5" so things are a little bit different for me than most people. If I hadn't moved the cab back I could've kept the core support flush with the front of the fenders.

It's pretty easy to do. I didn't take any pictures because it's cake. Not to mention there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest.