Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

narrowing the front clip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger97116, Oct 3, 2004.

1. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

does anyone have piks,ideas,comments on doing this we are going to narrow the front of brians 76?blazer the back is done already.i have a plasma and were just getting some ideas before we start /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifi think he wants to remove about 12" on each side and reuse the stock grill i was thinking we could cut the outer edge of the coresupport and reweld it after we remove the center to help line up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifalso the hood apears to be a little tricky any help would be great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif oh yea his truck is in my webshots below in the wheeling piks

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

3. mudslinger97116

no thats jekbrown's mine are the two 72's that live in my shop.the one were going to narrow is the tan one behind it./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudslinger97116

you need to come down here and play /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oooh, IC, a first gen guy /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Me come down there? Or were you talking to someone else?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Since no one replied, I'll give it a shot...
    I have no idea how to do the hood,it looks tricky.
    But for the fenders, cut the core support 12" down on each side (thats how much you said you want to narrow it) then bend or cut, or somehow get the fenders to match up to the newly cut coresupport. After that weld or bolt the fenders to the coresupport somehow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudslinger97116

yea you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifwe were thinking by keeping the outer edge of the core support we could still bolt the fenders on just have to tweek them in a little?i thought after that we could cut the hood down the center and "v"it maybe?the reweld it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifdo you much wheeling around you in say late spring? i've always wanted to head up north but it has yet to happen.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oh I see what you mean, that'd be a good idea if you cut off the fender mounting points from the core support, then cut it to size, then weld the fender mounts back on...

I do a little bit of wheeling, I wont be wheeling for a while though, my rigs not driveable /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. mudslinger97116

yea i know what you mean i finaly put my new brake line on and bled them today. it's all that little stuff i need to take care of /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL, for me, I started taking the blazer apart a month ago, and im still working on taking it apart... not enough time /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well althought that would keep the stock lines in the hood if you cut out the center, the ftont of the hood, wont be a strate line it will V in towards the center, just cut the out side and move the underside hood suport over so you can bolt hinge back on /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. mudslinger97116

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i was thinking it would be a real pain to get a good gap at the cowl also..maybe i can talk him into a sheet metal hood /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I was thinkin I could just cut the core support where the headlights where, leaving the lil bit that the fend bolt too, then cut out about 10 or so inches then weld the fendermounting section to the rest of the support...then for the hood I think it should be pretty easy unless Im not thinkin of something...but just cut the sides of the hood off so it matches the narrowed front /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and hell I figure with yer plasma cutter Kev, then I can cut like crazy and worse comes to worse I can find a new hood /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thats the beautiful part about having a chevy...parts are a dime a dozen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

If you cut past the raised lines on the hood then the hood will be taller than your fenders. I had to cut my hood into 10 peices and remove 4 of them to make everything line up. If you make your front end wider than the lines on the hood then you can just wack the corners off. I went narrower so I made the body lines follow the fender.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. mudslinger97116

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks thats kinda what i'm thinking but it is his truck so he'll have final say /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifanother local guy nice.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. smprider112

ya I dont wanna go to narrow then if it means runnin into headlight problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was lookin at this website that had a ton of pics of the guys truck...he narrowed the front and chopped the back (there the pics ryan had linked to me in the PNW forum) it looks pretty straight forward...and shouldnt be too terribly difficult to do /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and with yer welder and plasma cutter it should be even eaiser /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif so when would you like to try to get this project started Kevin? since its gonna be at yer place /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. smprider112

see heres some of the pics I found useful
    here you can see where the battery tray has been rerouted
    [​IMG]
    heres b4 it got cut up
    [​IMG]
    and heres after
    [​IMG]
    heres the hood marked for cutting
    [​IMG]
    and heres it kinda together
    [​IMG]
    and heres it all together
    [​IMG]
    and heres the cage
    [​IMG]
    I'll prolly do something similar to that cage except not have the wraparound the front bars...and prolly not the extended hoop off the back...but other then that, thats exactly how I want it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif cut off roof and everything (One good way to get rid of that door pillar rust area /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif then I'll have to re-do my floors too since they are pretty rusted up...I may end up with a half way descent truck...ohh ya then slap the desert camo paint job on it and I'll be rollin in style /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

The good thing obout that hood is there are no funny body lines on the front. also he only narrowed to the body line. It will save you alot of time doing it that way. My hood however I have to do over again because I narrowed my front end to the radiator. Something else to think about is if you are gonna run doors. when you narrow the front end it gets shorter. either you move the fenders forward or the nose back. if you move the fender forward then ya got bad body lines between the door and fender.
    web page

19. mudslinger97116

i think brians going to go with tube doors after the last trip i can't blame him /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. mudslinger97116

when works best for you?it's not like we can't leave it in the shop for a couple of days /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifonce we start it should go pretty fast as long as we wait till after we're done to open the corona /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifso pm me call me what ever we both work some odd hours though /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif