Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Narrowing the front end?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Has anybody looked into narrowing the front end? Looks like you could lose 4 or 5 inches off of each side pretty easily. Might include some creative cutting however.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Juan narrowed the front of his. I'm doing mine, maybe my son's. Stephen (ORD) narrowed his. There was a recent pic of an orange K5 that was narrowed. There is a guy with a K30 flat bed with a narrowed front too...

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I want to narrow mine, but keep the stock grill, i think that would look sweet.

4. Sandman

How are you doing yours?

I was looking at cutting out two sections of the core support. The area between the headlights and the radiator. That way the stock headlights can be used but an aftermarket grill could get chopped down for the center. Bend in the fenders and cut the hood. Or go to a fiberglass hood and ditch the hood springs altogether. Ditch the inner fenders or fab up new ones ( I still run mud ) and move the battery.

I'm still in the thinking about it stage. I would like to do it but I dont want it to look like a hack job either. I would like to narrow the rear too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

6. Sandman

Now we're talking! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was thinking of keeping the cab untouched and just angling in the front. I think a few inches on each side could make a difference.

7. BadDog

That's pretty much the plan for my son's K5. Move the headlights in as close to the radiator as possible. Reuse the headlight bezels, and mod the grill to fit. Trim the hood corners to fit. And angle the fenders in. Hinges may be a problem though, still thinking on that one. Should shave off 5" or so per side easily...

On mine, the front will be just a little wider than the radiator with lights set high and just outside the radiator edges. Hood will be angled in to match and will have the forward bracing modified so that the front lip hangs only 1" or so past the radiator and as low as possible. Core support may be further butchered to reuse, or I may buld my own. I leaning strongly toward going with an electric fan and angling the radiator back as much as possible to improve visibility. Hood will be moved back close to the windshield and trimmed/pieced as needed. I have the factory late model hinges and they will be easier to adapt than my son's old fender mounted hinges. Or maybe I'll just go completely pins, front will definately be pinned.

8. BadDog

Oh, one other thing. I have an alternate "plan" which narrows the rear of the hood almost as much as the front. This would get me much better visibility but presents more problems. I'm also trying to tone down some of the brutally fuggly aspect. Making that look like anything other than a hack will be allot of work. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Sandman

Sounds interesting. I didnt think about dropping the hood down. I have a 3" body lift. I might look into pulling the blocks out of the front and that should make it easier to lower down the hood by just lowering the whole core support. I guess I will just go to a glass front end while I'm at it.

Maybe your right about making your own core support. Kind of like building a buggy front clip with fiberglass covering. I think I could go for that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif