Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

narrowing the front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I want to know the legality issues of narrowing the front...

I would geuss that it would be illegal to drive on the road after doing this mod....

But can you make some removable "fender flaps" that would cover the tire and make it legal that way???

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

the po po told me I'd be ticketed for tire coverage if I drive it on the road. So, I'd say yes, you right. I don't see a problem with some type of removable fender that covers the tires.

3. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

In B.C removable fender flares is legal as long as they're on when it's inspected and on the road.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

A tapered front end with a set of simple flat fenders to cover the tires would work fine.

Ultimately though, this is what you're describing.......might as well acknowledge it.

[​IMG]

5. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

yeah yeah, I know. It will look like a jeep's front end after i do that. But I really like the narrow front ends.....

And REALLLY want to keep this truck as a DD for as long as possible.

I just straight up do not have the money for a dedicated trail rig, and a tow rig, and a trailer.... Nor do I have the space....

Is it even worth it then?? Does the advantage of having a narrowed front end out-weigh the disadvantage of looking slightly like a heep??

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It won't look like a Jeep unless you put fender flares on it to cover the tires.

7. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

But I need the fenders flares to keep it legal....

I don't want tickets all the time. And a lifted suburban with a narrowed front end is gonna tough to overlook....

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Then make them removable imo.

BTW, Wally, ORD's blazer/truggy thing is narrowed front and rear , but for the Offroad Adventures Stephen drove the rig to most of the wheeling spots on the highway, i believe he stated he only needed mud flaps.

Its worth doing some research into it.

9. Greg72

These discussions really strike a nerve with me, so I'm just going to say my piece about it and move on:

If you own a fullsize rig (Blazer, Suburban, etc) you have made a conscious decision to own "something of size". There is a lot of real utility in having a large vehicle.....you can actually carry your crap inside of it (unlike the J**ps who have to strap coolers to the roof, or tow a cute little offroad trailer behind them) on the trails. In a bigger vehicle, you can comfortably bring a few friends along with you to share the 4-Wheeling experience with. If the weather gets bad, you can even throw a sleeping bag right in the back and sleep in a nice dry and elevated spot....off the wet ground, and away from the "creatures".

There's nothing wrong with Jeeps if that's your "thing"... you have a lot of mobility and visibility in them, just not much space for friends or gear....and let's be honest, the more Chevy parts you swap into them (engines, drivelines and axles) the better they get! :D

However, when you narrow....dovetail....and then boatside... a full-size truck all you have really done is create a Jeep-sized body for the Chevy running gear underneath (Hmmmm......sounds almost identical to what the Jeeps guys do!)

For the guys who must have a dual-purpose rig, this whole arguement is even more important. Simply throwing a hacked-up, "non-legal" K5 onto a trailer is NOT an option....so these sort of modifications will ruin the practicality of the vehicle. Wives and/or girlfriends don't take long to complain about the "progressive" look of the truck, and it isn't long before the rig you used to enjoy everywhere....now starts to sit unused and unloved in the driveway. No matter how "hardcore" you say you are, it's tough to drive a tapered, barely legal K5 (or Burb) to work everyday and be willing to deal with the constant threat of attention by local law enforcement.

If, on the other hand, you have a trailer and tow rig already.....chop away! But honestly why stop at a Truggy (or for tapered K5, what I will call a "Juggy"!:wink1: ) If you are willing to forgo the street-legal aspects of the build, you'd end up with a better rig by building it as a pure buggy anyway. Make is narrower, with less overhangs, and better underbelly clearance and lighter weight.

There....I've said it. Discussion fodder for sure! What's your idea of a "Full Size 4x4"???

:usaflag:

10. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

blasphemy I say! I wheel a fullsize, cause im sick of seeing heeps. The trails around here are designed for heeps, heck the cliffs insane terrain offroad park actually has a wheelbase limt! If i have to "widen" the trail a little bit then so be it. Just makes it easier for the blazer behind me

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Narrow it but use some heavy rubber (like heavy bedmat, lighter than horse mat) and make flares. If you tear them off no big deal.

From what I've seen, no one cares whether you have flares if you have mudflaps. Therefore, I say run some big ugly mudflaps that are removable, make sure your rig looks semi-safe, and make sure all your lights work.

12. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Greg72... Thank you for being brutally honest!!

I love that about this place. so many opinions, so many suggestions.

I am in no way going to argue that fact that I bought a full size rig. AND I bought one of the biggest things chevy has to offer (besides a K30 crew cab, long bed.../LWB chevy pickup). AND I bought it for two reasons. I love chevy's, and want to bring freinds.

But eventually I see this rig as a dedicated trail rig. But Iw ant it to be a clean rig. One that COULD be driven on the road. Even with a bobbed "bed" (I geuss burbans would just have a bobbed cab...) the sub would have much more room then any heep on the the road...

I like the wheel base, and I like the width. But I want to modify it. and I want to modify myself, and narrowing the front end is one of the things on my list. And bobbing the "bed" is another part of my future build up.

BUT again, I want everything clean. I want my truck to be recognizable as a chevy. I want people to say "Nice chev", NOT "what kind of truck is that man??"

If anything I want the truck to have a little longer of a wheelbase, and maybe even a little wider (the WMS-WMS, not he the body...).

Greg72, I appreciate your input. I really really do. You kinda stuck your neck there, because alot of people on here have done the narrowing, and dove-tailing, and bobbing, and truggy-izing. That statement could've turned this thread into an Avery thread. But I don't want that at all..... and I hope it doesn't turn into that.

When/if I go through with this I hope you like it... Or atleast think it was a clean job. Thanks buddy.

13. Greg72

CK,

Well hopefully it wasn't too "brutal".... my intent was really to make people stop and think a little bit.

I've been on this site since 2001, and I've seen a lot of guys go through the entire progression with their K5 (or whatever).......from stock.....to a small lift and 33's......a little cutting and some 35s or 38s.....deeper axle gears.....more tire, more cutting......Doublers.....more hacking....less sheetmetal, etc.

Unfortunately, one of the things I have also seen many times is that the guys who aren't being careful end up building a rig that they can't use as their DD anymore...(usually this happens about the time they throw 5.13s into the axles). These guys don't have a trailer or tow rig, or the space to store an "offroad only" vehicle at their house /rental so what inevitably happens is they end up getting bummed out and end up trying to sell everything.

At that point, they have at least $10,000 in parts but they can't even get an offer for $5K....so they suffer the final humiliation of having to "part out" the truck just to re-coup a fraction of what they spent. The whole experience ends up feeling like a real "kick in the balls"...and it generally sours them on the whole offroading hobby forever.

I've seen in play out that way a number of times on the CK5 forums over the last 6 years, and I always wonder if someone had just said something to the guy as he was making all of his wild plans on these forums....they might have done things a little differently??

I'm glad to see that I was able to make you think a little bit more, and maybe see things from a slightly different perspective. Hopefully, that will allow you to feel more confident about your build, knowing that you have given careful consideration to all your options.

:usaflag:

14. dreadstealth

dreadstealth Registered Member

But if you find the reason for narrowing a front or rear it serves a purpose. look at www.diy4x.com and look at the modified truck

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Everyone is aware of the purpose that it serves and I dare say that most of us have seen Kerts truck before. Matter-o-fact, he is post #2 in this thread.

16. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like you really just need this rig, which is for sale by the way:

brent's truck posing.JPG

brent's truck posing2.JPG

All three rigs.JPG

17. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I actually DO like that truck...

But I want to bobb my rear end a little differntly... (that sounds a litle worse then I wanted it to sound...)

I'll post a picture on what I want to do with it...

18. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Plain and simple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All American, Apple Pie, huge, could go bigger, get the **** outta my way Full Size!

Any questions?

Manny

19. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah, do you only have one friend? :D Do you not really like bass? Where do you put stuff you don't want easily ripped off? blah, blah, blah.

Obviously you have a sweet rig, :bow: but it's all about the Blazers and Subs if you ask me. For my life a pickmeup is way too limited.

I think Greg72 is VERY clear on the impact our mods have on our rigs and eventually our lives. I always say, try to invest money on parts, and mods that are resellable or that you can bring with you to the 'next' project. Keep in mind the differences in model years too!

That said, one of the biggest joys I get out of the hobby, is planning, researching, and building a dual purpose rig, that fits the challenges of my lifestyle, trail conditions, and weather conditions 'up here'.

I say, go for it. Coming up with a cleanly designed and executed removable flat fender is cool as siht!

20. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Thanks jay, I am glad your not too upset with what I may be doing to your baby. hahaha.