Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nascar and the confederate flag

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by smalltruckbigcid, Oct 11, 2006.

1. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Written yesterday for Yahoo sports by Dan Wenzel. He did an article about the confederate flag flying prominently at Talledaga this weekend. Its a long article and I'm not going to rehash or post it here. Just the funny part.
    <<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    One PR person for a championship-winning driver declared that the driver had no influence over his fans, which ought to be news to his myriad sponsors. Others tried to reason that their drivers were too young. One suggested his guy was just too dumb to really comprehend the subject. I appreciated the off-the-record honesty there.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Honesty in a PR person:bow::bow::bow::haha:
    George

2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

The south lost. I look at it just like the Mexicans, E lSalvaorians,PR's, flying there flags in thier cars. You are in the USA under the Stars and Stripes get over it. Flame away...

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

AGREED. No flame here. Just flame retardant speedos :D

4. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

My original intent was to show the funny where the driver the PR person is representing is to dumb to understand. Talk about following a stereotype:rolleyes:
    George

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

It's a Southern thing, you wouldn't understand.

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

No, It's a USA thing.

7. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

yep!:wink1:

8. thezentree

No, it's a Southern thing. Obviously, you don't don't get it, and that's cool. Whatever.

9. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Don't get me wrong I don't feel that it is a sterotype (redneck and such) thing. But the confederacy wanted to take over control of our government because they did not like it's policies. That is why we fought them and won (BTW MD is concidered the south). You would support a movment to overthrow our gov.? THAT in what it stands for. And just because other groups say "you would'nt uderstand" dose not make it true for everyone who wants to fit in with there own "group". Will southerners now want special loan rates and special treatment because now they are a minority? Just like we ask "new americans" to become American and not aliens living here, I expect the same from the folks who were born here.

10. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I gotta say this, my brother has been down there since 74 @ Ft. Bragg. Every time I visit him, I'm treated better than in Mich. much friendlier people down there. Hey thezentree, I gotta say that battleship is awesome too.

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

If the government was being run in such a way as to warrant such then yes I would. At the time the people of the Confederacy believed that.

Take a minute and read the Declaration of Independence. ;)

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Actually, anyone who has the inclination to do some homework will find that the rebel flag really had nothing to do with the KKK and racism. However, a certain segment of society now views it as a symbol of those types of activities. Sometimes perception overtakes reality.........

13. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Mexicans belive texas belongs to them (ask former pres. fox), dose that make it right?

Do you agree with the confederacy?

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

:waytogo:

15. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Why does it matter what my views are on the Confederacy or any other uprising or revolution for that matter, that wasnt the point of my response :rolleyes:

Take a second and reread my previous post

16. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

We are talking now not then. They did belive what they were doing the right thing back then. But today people don't fully understand what it meant. They think It's stands for southern unity or somthing but don't comprehend it was a sign of rebels who did'nt want to conform to a unified government. A unified gov. meant taxes and laws.

17. thezentree

I hope you don't consider me part of that segment. It irritates me that people use the Confederate flag like that.

Actually the southern states seceded from the United States, and the north didn't like it. Towards the end of the War, yes, the South attacked Washington, but that was more for military reasons than anything else.

What? Are you serious? Southern is not a race, no, we don't ask for special treatment, and no, we're not a bunch of terrorists waiting to overthrow the US government. No one disagrees that the South was defeated. It's a historical fact. However, it's a known fact that the real Southern culture is unique (look at 76zimmer's post, for example), and because of this the Confederate battle flag has become a symbol of that.

That said, this is a different situation from the Mexicans/Puerto Ricans/whatever. The South is part of the United States and so is our culture. Besides, yall liked us so much that ya beat our collective asses when we tried to leave. So we stayed.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, being a Southerner is no different than being a New Yorker. We're proud of where we come from.

I am American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

18. thezentree

First off, don't f**king imply that I am an ignorant redneck. The south seceded due to economic reasons, mostly unfair tariffs put in place by a Northern dominated congress. As for a fear (for lack of a better word) of government, does the Confederate States of America ring a bell? The Southern states banded together to form a government of their own. Yes, it was a looser government than the US, but a government nonetheless, complete with taxes and laws.

Regardless, we're talking about now, not then. Are you proud of your family name? Of the fact that you're an American? Same thing man, I have tons of ancestors who fought and died in the War Between the States. I'm not gonna forget that just because you say that was then, this is now.

I fly the American flag over the Confederate flag, I pay taxes to the US govt, and would have no problem fighting for this country. But I come from the South.

And I'm proud of it.

19. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

We do agree on one thing American first, whatever else second.

I still think the flag stands for a threat to America that's just my opinion. The problem is the misrepresentation of it. If people understood it they might not agree with it.

Oh, and I love going south, people are much nicer than up north.

Being a woman is not a race but they get special treatment for being minorities.

20. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Maryland is not considered the south. They didn't fight for either side.

Yankee.