Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nasty Clunks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Feb 13, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

When I am driving slowly, like slowing down to turn into a driveway and I am turning the wheels I am hearing a pretty loud clunk noise, and the father I turn the more times it clunks. But once the wheel is not turning, the clunking noise stops. The actual clunks are during the turning of the steering wheel. I've check the steering linkage and everything looks tight. I'm thinking it might be motor mounts but I have'nt checked them yet. It does'nt seem to be going away and it seems louder and harder the more I drive. And Ideas where it could be coming from?

Cowboy Up!

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Could be a body mount... where does the truck feel like it's thunking? Mine does it under my feet when mine does it.

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

try turning the wheels for lock to lock while stopped...if you still get the clunking, it could be the ball joints...just a thought...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

4. 76_Cheyenne

I get the thunking like under my feet/engine compartment. Under there.

Cowboy Up!

5. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Bad body mounts I would say, mine does the same thing right under my feet. Does it sometimes happen at acceleration? Are the mounts under your feet rusted out? Body support rusted? Mine are badly, in fact they are starting to come throught the floorboard...time for a floorpan replacement

"What ever happened to my Rock N Roll?"

6. 76_Cheyenne

No, it does not happen under acceleration. Only while i'm turning the wheel and moving. I checked the body mounts and they were tight and didn't look like they needed to be replaced. I'm going to check my motor mounts now. Any other ideas?

Cowboy Up!

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

what about the u-joint that is in the axelshaft area between the upper and lower balljoints just a thought ....

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 Cheyenne with the same thing. I had some rust eliminate the body cross support to the body mount from under the front of the drivers door. It ate it so uniform that it was hard to tell something originally belonged there. The rust was hidden and pretty bad under the drivers door to the floor seam, especially underneath but I couldn't tell untill I wire brushed some of the undercoating off. I cut most of it out and welded in new sheet metal and the problem is mostly gone. I figure it will totally vanish after the cross member support to the front right cab body support is replaced. give it a good look, I didn't find mine untill I prepping for a body lift.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

It could be the front leaf springs and shackle hittign the frame...

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, without you having your truck profile filed out its hard to say. However, this sounds very symptomatic of a limited slip differential with not enough limited slip additive. I have had the same problem.

**WARN**ing, Something winching this way comes! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mccords.s5.com/myk5/index.htm>NashvilleK5</a>

11. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    What can you do about a front spring shackle hitting the frame ? I think mine does that on the passenger side. Are things just not tight enough down there or is there a bad bad bushing ? I have lift springs there so i don't think they are the problem.
    Blake

Who needs new parts when there are junk yards and hardware stores ?

12. 76_Cheyenne

I don't think it's the spring hitting the frame. Colado82k5, you can eliminate the springs from hitting the frame by getting longer shackles. ORD makes a nice set of HD 1"longer shackles. After driving the truck tonight, It just feels like something is shifting and creaking. I wonder if a motor mount is cracked, cause it doesn't look like the body. I also do not have a limited slip or locker in the front.

Cowboy Up!

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have similar sounds while turning, and one thing I did was get the truck running, put it in park-set the parking break. I got out and went to the wheel well and grabbed the steering shaft going into the steering box. I rotated it as if steering from inside the truck and a would get a clunk that sounded like it was coming from the steering box itself. The output shaft looked like there was some play in it as if it would pop as you turned...the shop guys said they have had other trucks do the same and it was something to do with the output shaft from the steering box and not enough greese or something. I know nothing about steering boxs so I had no idea what they were talking about. I do know the box is new and I also had a weld in repair kit put on. Perhaps the weld in kit has changed the angle slightly??? Looks like the pitman arm may actually hit a piece of the weld in kit that hangs down a bit. I never have figured it out, and it still clunks. Shop guys said it was the front springs, but there is no evidence of them hitting the frame. Maybe this will help??? Or not make any sense...its kinda late...lol

14. 76_Cheyenne

It could be from the steering box but its not just a sound. It's also like a feeling. I can feel it at my feet like something is twisting. But I keep looking and my body mounts are old but not rusted out. The rubber bushing are a bit cracked but not like others have told of them completely rusted out. Thanks everyone for your input.

Cowboy Up!

15. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

[BACK TO THE TOP] Re: Nasty Clunks

I'm bringing this post back to the top because I seemed to have developed the same Clunking when Turning. It seems to do it when I turn left while accelerating regularly. Its a series of "clunks or pops" that I can feel around the front. It stops as soon as I straighten out or go faster. I've checked all my body mounts and my engine mounts are new poly's. Axle Ujoints look fine. No cracks around the steering box. Where else can I look. <font color=blue>76_Cheyenne</font color=blue>, did you get this problem fixed?

16. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Chck U bolts on springs. I found these loose on my front.

Good luck

17. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'll check those tonight. I hope its something simple like that. Thanks.

18. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

You said you checked the U-joints. This is the only thing I can think of. When mine were bad it made a clicking noise and the front kind of jerked when I was turning. You probably already tried this, but the easiest way to make sure it's not the U-joints, just un-lock the hubs and put her in 2wd. My ball joints were totally shot and never had this problem, I dont have the greatest body mounts either.