Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

nasty grinding noise and no oil pressure

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue Meanie, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

well, this is probably my last post so bare with me. last weekend my motor drank some water, started idling erraticly and stalling (like that isn't supposed to happen when you douse the thing down with soup). i removed the soaked air filter and covered the carb with a plastic bag and blasted out the engine compartment and cleaned the filter and slapped it all back in. when i started it, there was this nasty grinding noise and there was about 10psi of oil pressure. i turned it off and checked the oil for water and mud. clean as a whistle. i started it back up again and the same thing, so i milked it home and parked it. the next day i started it again, there was a loud bang then it ran great, 55psi of oil at idle and it purred like a kitten. turned it off and started it again and bam, grinding and no oil pressure. tell me this is a bad oil pump and not a spun bearing or 2. i am frightened to drop the pan because of the damn pan gasket (target master motor) any help would be great. i just need to get it running so i can sell it. if you want to know what it has or are interested in buying it, pm or email me. i'm in jersey. wayne.wesner@mcguire.af.mil

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Oil floats on water. You might have water in the bottom of the pan. Open the oil drain plug and see if water comes out. If the oil pump was trying to pick up water it might not be to happy. Its a guess but check it out and let us know.

3. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

i agree pull the drain plug and see what you have in there next do a compression check ? if you swollowed water you could have some issues in the bottom end ? good luck PS pull the distributor and put a drill on the shaft and check your pressure ?? use an electric drill the cordless wont spin the shaft fast enough to get up th pressure giving you a false reading?? hope this helps let us know.