Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nasty smog test results. Could use some help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by docgab, Aug 13, 2003.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Greetings all, I finally got the ugly beast's smog equipment on and ready to try and smog. Oh man how nasty it was. Here's the results:

2500 RPM:

HC PPM Allowed: 0350
    HC PPM Measured: 1857
    CO % Allowed: 3.50
    CO% Measured: 13.67+

Idle RPM:

HC PPM allowed: 0300
    HC PPM Measured: 0624
    CO % Allowed: 3.00
    CO% Measured: 9.14

Nasty stuff eh? This was all after changing spark plug wires, plugs, cap, rotor, oil change etc. Timing was 4 BTDC, idle was 650 or so. Q-jet carb, 350 motor. The tech said the HC is generally carb related. I have a buddy who can loan me a new Edelbrock Performer carb for the test so that should answer that part of the question correct? Any other things I should look at?

Another thing I was concerned about was at sustained 2500 RPM, my right exhaust pipe (I have true duals) was blowing smoke like crazy, not black, not white, kinda blue or gray if I recall correctly. The left wasn't so bad. All input and suggestions are greatly appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. docgab

ttt- anyone? C'mon, I know ya can't be that tired of all my questions!?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

High HC's caused by bad or no Cat.
    High CO caused by running too rich.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Whenever its emission test time foe me I always get the engine in good tune,and advance the timing a little beyond normal specs,make sure I have only 1/4 tank or less of gas and add 3 bottles of isopropanol dry gas.I have had big blocks that had over 200,000 and only in fair condition pass with quite a bit lower emissions than the limits, /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifafter failing just a few minites before without the dry gas.I dont know if the new "sniffers" can tell the difference in fuels(to detect cheaters like me) /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifbut it worked for me,and I have seen similar stuff for sale that says gaurenteed to pass emission test or you get it free.Its cheaper than a new engine,one that will probably pollute just as bad as a used one anyway!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. docgab

thanks for the replies so far all. Much appreciated!