Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nasty ticking from engine.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by docgab, May 15, 2005.

1. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK. If it ain't one thing, it's another lol. The truck needs a tune up for sure, and the carb is acting up, but that isn't concerning me very much. It's this nasty ticking sound coming from the engine. I know it can't be good. It's worst when cold, but is still there after the engine warms up, just not as pronounced. It is definitely a ticking and not a pinging. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine (the same side I have an exhaust leak at my manifold). What do you all think? Let me know if there is more info needed. :-)

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , aside from the typical chevy tick due to factory balancing , I say possible exhaust gasket going bad on # 2 , remember things expand when hot and isn't so pronunced . Fix the exhaust leaks like ya need to anyway and see what happens .

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Prolly a rocker arm nut neededing to be tightened. Pretty simple.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'll second the exhaust leak as your culprit. Fix the leak then see if it's still ticking. Exhuast leaks are bad when cold and get better as the engine warms up to temperature.

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Bad spark plug or wire can produce a ticking sound.. So can a bad flexplate. Check the flexplate with the engine running for a wobble. Also the exhaust leak is suspicious.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

most likely exhaust.... i have the same tick but its my passenger side header.

if its not the seal on the heads make sure you check the collectors if you have em.

if its still there i would try the rocker adjustment kidjethro suggested.

dude i can't concentrate with that avatar...:)

7. '89 bucket

'89 bucket Registered Member

where do i get that oriental delight, shakin' her thang,, next to your user ID?
    i love it..:)

8. docgab

OK. Thanks guys for all the replies. Much appreciated. The manifold in question was a b**ch for the exhaust guy to get on. He had to get a stretcher or some tool to get it on. I am worried that if I take it off the damn thing won't wanna go back on. If I make sure to do it when the engine is completely cold, the manifold bolts holes should be lined up with the motor right?

9. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

Don't rule out the fuel pump either. It was my mystery noise for a long time. Last time I checked it was only 15 bucks too.

10. docgab

Wow, funny you mention this. I have been getting that nasty whatever kind of smell (hard to describe) that I got last time when my fuel pump was going bad. The truck isn't acting the same as last time, however, I learned that there isn't always set symptoms when dealing with the darn fuel pump. I guess I'll have to break out the old home made stethascope and see if it is coming from the fuel pump. I'm gonna replace the exhaust manifold gaskets anyhow as I do have a leak there. If the noise keeps up then I only have to check Joe's idea and the fuel pump! lol Thanks again all.

11. '89 bucket

'89 bucket Registered Member

i'm serious, where did you get that avatar!!!!

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've always been a little leary of those spreaders...spreading cold cast iron just seems like a recipe for cracks. They must work or they wouldn't exist. One idea I came up with for a manifold that "shrinks" like this is to either drill ALL the bolt holes out just a bit larger, or take a fair amount of meat out of the front hole.

The manifolds I've had that "shrunk" always let me get all the bolts in but the very front one. It was obvious that hole was WAY off, but now when I think about it, just drilling it out probably would have solved the problem.

I've had this problem occur even on "Vortec" exhaust manifolds (sold to me as such, and do appear to be) so it's not really something to do with age. More an excuse to go with headers if you can afford them if you ask me. :)

13. docgab

[QUOTE='89 bucket]i'm serious, where did you get that avatar!!!![/QUOTE]

lol. Sorry, didn't mean to belittle your request about the avatar. :cool1: I don't recall where I got it, sorry. You can right click and save it though if you want it.

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Might want to change your sig dorian.... i don't think we'll be seeing fiero anytime soon. Or was it a temporary ban?

If you have a propane torch you might want to try heating it up while you use the stretcher or just drill out the hole/s but stretcher would be the right way.

15. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

That avater...

makes it very hard to concentrate :D

16. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I had the same issue on my 400sb. While the engine was running I noticed that the crank pulley was vibrating really bad. After I swapped it with another from the JY the ticking went away. Just a thought.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, it does!!

If I could only marry a girl like that avatar!!-- :tongue1: :bow: --

They look like a pendulum on a clock!---tick-tock-tick-tock... :saweet:
    now I'm thisrty ! :blush: milk and cookies time... :D

I had a timing gear bolt back out and hit the cover on a small block once--also a fuel pump pushrod that wore down made a horrible clacking noise--I thought it spun a bearing!

I've had exhaust manifolds that "shrunk" too--I put one in the wood stove,and used welding gloves to handle it while I put it on--bolts went right in!...

We now return you to the previously hijacked thread! :crazy:

18. docgab

OK so a tiny update. Really a point of learning for me. So yesterday was the day I was gonna put the K5 back together. I had replaced the water hoses, and taken off the passenger exhaust manifold. The gaskets were all in good shape, but I was gonna replace 'em anyway. As I was maneuvering things around I noticed the air injection tubes were kinda loosey goosey, upon further inspection, I found the tubes injecting into the two middle exhaust ports were broken off. Point of learning for me was inspect things closely and don't jump to conclusions. I was so set on the gaskets going bad that I didn't see the breaks in the tube. So it's off to the junkyard here in the next couple of days for another manifold (if I don't have an extra set of tubes laying around on the many manifolds I seem to have collected in the short time I have been a K5 owner lol).

19. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Don't forget about Rich Gai. I know he has piles of manifolds out there. I would say try Kilroys too, but I'm pretty sure I got the last pair of smog manifolds out there a couple weeks ago... The last passenger manifold with smog tubes atleast. :)

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

flute pipes huh??

The sell new "flute pipes" in the "HELP" section at parts stores...or 1/4 inch NPT pipe plugs fit in the holes the tubes go in nicely.. :whistle: --oh,unless your in CA--I forgot you cant plug things off there .... :frown1: :crazy: