Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

National Gaurd

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just wondering why all the National Gaurd service men and women have been send over seas. I always thought the National Gaurd were to defend this country while the rest of our armed forces were fighting in different country(s). Doesn't the name "National Gaurd" lead you too belive they are to gaurd our nation ??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I think the govt has a choice of either to have a draft or send out the National Guard. You would think that the National Guard would mean defending the home front, though.....

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

You would assume that the national gaurd was for securing the home front, as would i. However there is legal precident for this. Without thinking to hard today and finding the actually cases for you, I'll sum it up as best as i can recall. During the Vietnam war LBJ sent National gaurd troops Overseas. The state of Minnisota argued that National gaurd troops were for state security and threatend not to follow the presidental deployment order. The case ended up in the Supreme Court, the holding was along the lines of "Minnisota's state National Gaurd is funded largely by federal tax dollars, which in turn makes them federal troops."

In reality National gaurd units are almost always activated on active duty some where. Air refuling wings, Self propelled artillery, Mp's, etc. Many units are composed of volunteers from throgh out a brigade(? not up on the army man power structure). Anyway i'm sure i've babbled enough, hope this helps.
    Cheers, rugger

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its been going on longer than that, my grandfather was in the Guard and he did time in the Pacific during WW II, i didnt find this out untill his death and did some research and basically ended up with answer that they are somewhat trained so its alot faster to send them in instead of waiting for drafties to complete training.

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

oh ya deployment of natioanl gaurd troops has been going on for as long as its conception. That is just the first time it was challenged, and the constitutional answer to the deployment of NG troops. I cant say that i disagree with the SC holding either.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

A little insight from my side.

The Guard has all the same MOS's as active duty. You will always find someone from the Guard deployed somewhere, and they also have "active Guard," people who are working full-time in a Guard unit.

As for deployment issues, you will find a lot of truck drivers, PsyOps, support types deployed to a war zone because it takes a crapload to move a mechanized force.

You can find others that get deployed to third world countries for civil projects such as building schools. I have a buddy that spent his time in the Guard and went to Central America three times as a weekend warrior, yet I never went anywhere on active duty. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You will also find MP's deployed a lot. In fact, a CANG MP was killed over in Iraq last week. They also get called out for riots here in country.

As for combat arms NG units. It's been hit and miss at times. Each active division (when I was in, may be a little different in this day and age) had a "roundout" brigade made up of Guard/Reserve troops.

Right now, you can find some Guard/Reserve combat units in Iraq. Marines, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't your reserves usually get attached to active units? I know a lot get called up in times of war.

The issues of Guard/Reserve units being combat ready has been a thorn in the Army's side for awhile.

Back in Gulf War I, the 48th? Brigade from Georgia was activated to head over there. They were sent to NTC and ended up doing back to back rotations and still were deemed unfit for combat. They also had a lot of problems with morale and AWOLs. They were sent to Ft. Stewart instead to take care of things while their parent unit led the charge.

And just some tidbits, Indiana had a NG Ranger unit in Vietnam. The OKNG unit, the 45th Div? if I remember right was the most decorated unit in WW2. One of the units that has been bouncing around in Afghanistan and Iraq has been a Reserve SF unit.

As for my personal experience, I evaled our roundout Cav troop in Hawaii for a few days. Outside of some rust, and the craziness of some Nam LRRP and his crew, they were squared away. I had an ILNG scout on my track for a rotation at NTC. My job was easy since he was there to learn and he really had his [I love Jeeps] together.

About the best I can do for you for your question is this. The NG belongs to the states, yet the federal government reserves the right to federalize a unit (in cases of war, Alabama and George Wallace) when needed.

7. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

the 19th and 20th SF Groups have been sending men to CenCom

FloridaNG has a brigade in Iraq

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I may be going here real soon. I honestly hope not because my unit is pathetic, but we'll just see what happens.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I may be going here real soon. I honestly hope not because my unit is pathetic, but we'll just see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious as to why you say that since that's the only unit (as far as I can remember) you have been in.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Marines, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't your reserves usually get attached to active units? I know a lot get called up in times of war.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's currently a Marine Reserve infantry battalion (3/25, I believe) in Okinawa, taking the place of one of the active-duty battalions that wouldn't be back from OIF in time to rest, reconstitute, and redeploy. They're attached to the Marine division in Oki (3rd MARDIV, I think...).
    There's also a Marine Reserve heavy helicopter squadron (HMH) that's been on active duty since January 2002. They detached most of the squadron's aircraft and personnel to an active-duty Marine medium helicopter squadron (HMM) to form the Air Combat Element (ACE) of the 24th MEU, which is the same process an active HMH would follow. The 24th MEU went to sea in August 2002 for what turned out to be a 9-month deployment. They flew many combat support missions in OIF, supporting 24th MEU, Task Force Tarawa, and II MEF combat operations. I'm a member of that Reserve HMH, but unfortunately I was "voluntold" that I'd be staying in the rear for the MEU deployment. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Not sure if that answers your question abut Marine Reserves, but hopefully it shed some more light on the subject.