Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

National Guard, should i go for it or no ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 25, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

this is something i have considered in the past, i even went to one of their 6 in the mornign groupings at the base in springfield IL, i went with someone who is about double my age and has been in the Guard for a long time, he took me there to see if i like it or not, they had just built a new machine shop at the time and seeing all the equipment and 6.2L diesel engines everywhere and checking out the garage was pretty cool, overall the whole day was neat, seeing hummers and chevies and etc all in service, got to go to mess hall and everything, spent whole day on base, took some of the test(MOS one?) on the top recruiter;s laptop, he said i did great and would definitely be placed if i were to join up,

but i STILL am unsure and dunno if i should or not, if i were to join then i would want to be working on the vehicles or something similar most likely,

i dunno what else to do in this life otherwise, i have lost all direction, had to sell everything in order ot get some money to try and live on so im down to some crappy worn out clothes and this puter and some hand tools and soem junk,, i feel like i am 56 years old instead of 26 years, am down to 13 teeth in my head and crrently several are in severe bad shape rotting past gums, am jaded about everything, nothing ever surprises me anymore no matter how crazy it is- it would take somethng really really insanely crazy anymore to get me to raise an eyebrow, cant find any work, even after over two years of hunting, dont want to stay here i hate this place, this whole state, would give anything to get the hell out of here and never look back, somehow ive managed to never be arrested or see any handcuffs or any court time or anything, even have good driving record and everything, but am in bad debt ruined credit- but i dont care about that anymore, screw em what are they gonna do take it from my wages ?? right..

is the Guard something i need to be getting into ? or does it sound like not a good idea ?

i have no idea,,

i gotta do something and aSAP cz i dunno how much longer i can put up with this crap of a life. im really getting pissed off(lost my temper totally since 2002- i used to have a strong temper nothing ever would piss me off i was so easy going and silly all the time constantly), and now just the thought of doing anything and the hassle of it is enough to make me not even try to do it cuz i know it will just end up with something destroyed due to me getting pissed off
    tired of being a nobody and doing nothing and being around the negative i am living within, 24/7/365, i am down lower than i ever thought i could or would ever go, done things i never thought i would or could do, i hate it all, i see no future or possibilities in this life for me, at all, no chance of having a g/f or even a wife or any kids or anything., nothing, no way for that to ever happen, i have a hard enough time trying to find food day to day let alone anything else, i try to keep myself busy with projects around here to keep my mind off all this crap, but its not working too well, and now ^%$#@!~ winter is almost here that sux ass i HATE winter and cabin fever i cant evne put up with one day of being stuck inside let alone several months of it, i get pissed off everytime winter is on its way just thinking about it, i always say im gonna be out of here before the next winter and never look back, but that never happens, i have no way out of here,

i want to be my old self again, happy hyper funny, etc, but i think im too far gone for that now,

and i dont need anyone replying with "oh you need to go to a counselor" or anything liek that, thats the last thing i need to hear right now and i cant afford one anyways, im lucky to be able to afford a 2 liter of soda to drink for a day, any given day, so.....

thanks for anything

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Sounds like it's time for a complete change. National guard or even a full time active duty slot. Go for it. You already know there isn't much there for you right? Why kept dwelling on it and move on

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    National Guard, should i go for it or no ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even read the whole post... But I answer emphatically YES!!!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Forget National Guard. Go active duty military and get the hell out of Illinois.

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

GO FOR IT, things will only get better when you join. Go get your life back together before it's too late. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Forget National Guard. Go active duty military and get the hell out of Illinois.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I did

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

go for it, can't be worse than what you have now /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Join the navy ask to go overseas, youll see some way cool stuff!!!!!

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Go Active duty. Sign up for 2 years.

If you like it you can stay in, if you don't you can bail.

Personally, I loved it ... had a blast and got to play with some really cool toys. Despite what you see in the movies and all the horror stories you hear it's really a pretty easy job. You get up, go to work then come home at the end of the day ..... unless you get sent to war. Then your schedule might change a little bit.

If you want to work on Blazers, Hummers and other light duty trucks then you want to be a 63B; Light Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thats exactly what I told him in a PM. Join active duty and ask to go overseas.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have alot of respect for everyone that joins the service no matter what branch. Right now you're pretty sure of being sent over seas for the war on terror. I thank all of you who are out there fighting for my freedoms. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I kick myself almost everyday for not going in right out of High School. If it werent for my kids, Id enlist today.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I kick myself almost everyday for not going in right out of High School. If it werent for my kids, Id enlist today.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you're missing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Screw that noise.

Find your local Marine recruiter. Walk in the door and tell them that you would like to travel to exotic lands and meet exciting people, then kill them while being one of the Few, the Proud, the Marines.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Screw that noise.

Find your local Marine recruiter. Walk in the door and tell them that you would like to travel to exotic lands and meet exciting people, then kill them while being one of the Few, the Proud, the Marines.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

(donning flame suit now)

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Didn't you mention having asthma? That may be enough to keep you from enlisting (if they find out about it), but if not I'd say go for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

National Guard will only make you want to go active duty with nothing else there at home for jobs/family though. Active duty will keep you well fed, get full medical, dental and a decent paycheck compared to what you have now. It will even pay for college but I'd say go National Guard if you want college since IL pays 100% tuition /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

I have to agree, I went National Guard when I was still in High School . I wished I had went active would of given me better direction. National Guard isn't enough time to give direction. I wish I would of went active duty and chose a MOS more interesting (something in communications I was 12B Combat Engineer, I did get to blow stuff up, drive a 5ton dump and APC carrier). If your looking for direction go active, you can always server a few years active then switch over to National Guard. Just my opinion though.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's something else to consider because military service is the gift that keeps on giving in more ways than one.

I've spent almost two solid years in college, got a vocational certificate in auto technology and also went through the academy in CA while getting paid each month on the GI Bill. It wasn't enough to live on with a wife and house and car payment, but if you work employment right, you can actually save it.

Another program that they have is on-the-job training. You would have to look into it more to see what jobs qualify, but even though I have been out just over nine years, I still have a year qualification on the GI Bill.

I'm salaried at I think $2200 a month now (and contrary to what that liberal asshat from Santa Rosa, CA said, I don't get no stinking overtime) and my first payment from the VA, because of the backlog, will be in the neighborhood of $5000 (and you know where that is going ) and will get another $5000 over the next year. That will free up some of our income, plus it will give me money finally so I can redo my K5 and hopefully follow a dream with it.

So in other words, besides joining just to serve your country, which was the one and only reason I joined, there are a lot of nice fringe benefits to go along with military service.