Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

National Park Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tomseviltwin, Jul 1, 2002.

1. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

So Capital Reef has always been a favorite destination for me as I have been visiting for about 25 years. It's a National Park right in the middle of a group of parks so many tourists will pull in at night, sleep in their campers, and leave the next morning. I happen to like bringing my four kids and exploring a park for several days.

I should have known that as soon as I pulled in with my 87 Suburban and noticed that everyone else there was in Suburu foresters, honda civics, and Volkswagon conversion vans that there would be trouble. Especially with the geeks walking around the park with headlamps.

Next, the camp host comes straight to us and demands how long are we staying, and I say 4 nights, not interested in smalltalk, he pulls away in the little golf cart.

Two days after arriving, we find someone has gone through the tent, and we are sought out in another part of the park, and ranger Ponytail Pete, rattles off all the "infractions" that he's not going to ticket us on yada yada yada, but which he is going to educate us about. Ok, our little dogs not welcome, so we had it boarded in a kennel, but even there we hadn't broken park rules as we had been in backcountry and not on the "trails" and was always leashed. The other stuff he bitched about wasn't even in the posted rules. He came back later and said he had run our plates from the campground payment envelope and we didn't have insurance according to the computer which of course we had. Later that night, while I was on a hike, both the campground director and the $hithead ranger sought out my wife and went off again about cooking with charcoal and the kid's scooters. First off we were very quiet in the campground, the rules said charcoal cooking was allowed in provided grill equipment, and no posted rules were present banning scooters or children for that matter. If they want to change the rules midway through the week, they should let us know politely.

The message: IF YOU ARE NOT A RICH EUROPEAN ON A WHIRLWIND TOUR, STAY OUT OF THE NATIONAL PARKS. YOUNG AMERICAN FAMILIES ARE NOT WELCOME AND WILL BE HARRASSED BY FEDERAL RANGERS.

The replacement host Sunday morning confirmed that the park ranger superintendant did feel that families should rent a hotel room and leave the campground for "weary travelors." This guy was very friendly, and gave us a complaint form to fill out seeing we had been wrongfully treated, but I'm sure the law enforcement officers will get a good laugh out of whatever complaints I submit.

Now I understand that law enforcement doesn't exactly attract the brightest or best character individuals, but give me a freaking break. Just give me a ticket if I need one and save the authority trip for when you go home and practice your domestic violence.

I apologize if my anti cop rant offends any of you fine law enforcement officers who make sure were all safely belted in our seats. I'm sure I'm not talking about you.

tom

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The replacement host Sunday morning confirmed that the park ranger superintendant did feel that families should rent a hotel room and leave the campground for "weary travelors."

[/ QUOTE ] weary travelers????????? Im sorry but when im a 'weary traveler' i would rahter crash in a hotel room, other than set up a tent and what not just to go to bed in a campground. Maybe i mis-read that, but that dont make no sense.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I love to get that Park Ranger out in the back woods and see how he acts with no witness, LOL. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

this is unfortunately a growing phenomenon with the parks services... its something that started when they allowed them to start carrying guns, and seems only to be getting worse. unlike real officers, these guys get a gun, and zero training on the laws, rules, and whatnot, and when its appropriate to enforce this and that. I've got a PITA story myself on an ornery bastard set of rangers....

about 8 years ago, I was on a church outing ( I know.. crazy ranty agnostic rich on a church outing) and we were going to hike `the subway' a rather beautiful trail through the zion canyon back country. well, the rules were no hiking groups bigger then 15 people, so we split our 150 person group into 12 smaller groups, starting each group with a 10 minute increment to keep the trail from over crowding. so, we're going down the trail when Ranger McPointyguns and his troublesome sidekick blondie Mc Dumb-broad came crashing CROSS COUNTRY, stopped us, and informed us that we were in violation of park rules and therefore our adult leaders were all getting tickets. our infraction? damadging the natural resources of the park, by sending a giant 150 person group through... as we pointed out, if we're in violation, then our group should get a single ticket, not 32 tickets, since to hand out 32 tickets would make it 32 groups... but ranger McPointyguns wouldn't hear it, and blondie mcDumbBroad couldn't understand the difference between dirt and air. so, we finish our hike, and end up at the parkinglot where Ranger Nasty McOldster is there berating our cooking staff, our adult leaders, and eventually us, as we're coming off the trail. Message given to me at that tme was `Parks are NOT for visiting, but rather LOCKING UP, and KEEPING PEOPLE FROM SEEING' the truly ironic part of course was the rangers busting us for destroying the natural beauty by staying on the trail, as opposed to thier bushwhacking, and sliding down a mountain hill to ambush us, and hand out several $200 tickets...

oh well, I can't wait to have some bastard harrass me in a national park about my truck/friends/tent/etc....

-Rich

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Thye're closing State Parks in Arizona! And while we're at it, we have to pay $5 to access our public lands!!!! Mt. Lemmon and Sabino Canyon. It used to be nice to visit, but not anymore, they won't a penny of my money. The forest service can kiss my ass! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. tomseviltwin

And with those $5 dollar entry fees you pay across every cattle guard, they are "developing" the public lands with visitors centers, parking lots, roads and destroying everything they make up pay to protect. If I wanted to visit a developed place, I'ld go to Mcdonalds. Also, ever notice that park rangers are never from the place they want to kick you out of. You have to be pretty much indepandantly wealthy to get a park job or be some loser with no other responsibility. No wonder all you get are ghestapo type hippy wannabe anti recreationists in charge. And like you said, give these idiots guns and watch out.

tom

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You guys have parks?

That sucks about the rangers. Up where I wheel a little in PA, there's no sign of any authority. Not really the most fun you can have in the woods, but noone busting your chops about it.

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Actually, we get to drive past a $2000 wooden shack (for the public) the government paid $212,000!!!!!! God Bless America. When that story hit the front pages you could hear the collective SHEEIT hit the fan. Good God, people were pissed. It's been 5 yrs now and there are still no improvements. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I wish it was $5 for entrance out here, all the national parks in this area are $20 to get in. Its even $20 just to drive through Yosemite to get to the eastern Sierra's, $20 so I can shave 2/12 hours off whats normally a 7 1/2 drive to one of my job site's. I learned the trick though, the gates are manned from 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. so I drive through at 1:00 a.m. and get breakfast in Lee Vining (great little bbq place in town). I've given up on Nat. Parks, while Bryce, Zion, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and all the others amy be pretty to look at, the Rangers are harassing everyone to death so I just go playing in the Nat. Forests and deal with the forest service. More Proffesional and fewer rules and hippies.

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Thats a $5 cover to enter public forests! The places our tax dollars already pay for!!! These thieving bastards told us it was an experiment, it's been a five yr experiment and all the great stuff they promised has never come to fruition. They told us "we built a new highway up the mountain", that was budgeted way before the "experiment" They're just ripping us off. I thought we paid a fee for campgrounds to keep the campgrounds in shape. An article came out in the paper stating that less than 5% of our money that is paid to drive up our mountain even stays in Az. What kind of a rip off is THAT. They haven't got the guts to say "we're gonna tax you, instead we're phuck you and hope too blind to see it".

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Our local Congressman just admitted that all Nat. Park revenue ends up in the general fund and does not go directly back into the park, maybe if they would leave it in the park then the fees could be reduced /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I was headed home a few years back in the old Blazer. Now to get to the family property you have to go though one of the California Redwood parks off of the Avenue of the Giants (this is where the worlds biggest trees are) Anyways this park ranger tells me not to go up the road cause there's no wheeling allowed up it. So I let him know that at one time the spot where we were standing was my Grandfather and Great Grandfathers property and that they built the road he was telling me about and would he please exscuse me cause I was going home and that he should go piss off the tourist. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. tomseviltwin

"Thats a $5 cover to enter public forests! The places our tax dollars already pay for!!! These thieving bastards told us it was an experiment, it's been a five yr experiment and all the great stuff they promised has never come to fruition. They told us "we built a new highway up the mountain", that was budgeted way before the "experiment" They're just ripping us off."

AMEN BROTHER!!!!