Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nat'l Guard and security forces in NYC for the RNC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 24, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

May 8, 2001
    Nat\'l Guard and security forces in NYC for the RNC

I commute to New York city everyday. With the Republican National Convention coming to Madison Square Garden next week, there's been more and more police and national guard presence around Penn station (where my commuter train terminates, directly beneath the Garden), and along my train's route. I would take pictures, but that's what terrorists have been doing...While fascinating, not worth being a suspect.
    There have been National Guardsmen all over Penn station since 9/11/01, with M16A2's slung on thier shoulder when the terror alert is at certain levels, but I've never seen more than LE cars watching the train tracks. Today, at some stations, there were (I assume) national guardsmen on foot watching the tracks. It was very odd looking, one guy was sitting on a perch, looking like he was so bored he was ready to fall down asleep. Not a large train station, so not much to look at, and to make it worse he was sitting way before the station, so there was even less to look at.
    There were a lot of guardsmen at the hub station along the way, along with dozens of cops, and presently two cops standing 5 feet away from me on this train car.

I'm staying home the week of the convention, but my railroad, the LIRR, says they plan to operate normal service during the convention. However, during the convention week, every New Jersey transit train that terminates in Penn station will be stopped and thoroughly searched, and each subway that has a stop in penn station will have heavy police presence (on the other hand, Jersey is suspected to have been the U.S. home to several arab terrorists, and there are currently many arabs living there). With that in mind, and the large security visibility there is now, before the convention, it would be interesting to see what the LIRR will be doing during the convention.

One of my best friends is from the mideast, and has dealt with and had family victim of islamic fundamentalist terrorist attacks in his home country. While he's no expert, he thinks all this buildup is a waste, terrorists are cowards, they strike when least expected.
    I don't think it's a waste, since I've felt and heard so much anti-Bush sentiment in the city that I wouldn't be surprised to see people getting violent, most likely in protest.

I'm in an observant mood today...I have a feeling later it'll be one of those "Get me the flock outta here" days... Hey Larry, wanna sell me a chunk of land out there in God's country?

So, for you military boys stuck pulling the ultra boring guard duties, I thank you! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif