Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Navistar swap

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DieselBurb, Dec 9, 2002.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Has anybody done or seen a 6.2 swapped for a Navistar 7.3? If so, details, please...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Sorry no help here. But I used to work at a Ferd Dealer. Man them Navistar motors where one heavy SOB /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I don't know of anybody swapping in a PSD into a GM truck, but I know of a few older Fords running around with them. I used to think about doing this. The PSD is an awesome motor. However, after My dad bought one, I found out how expensive they are to work on and repair. Know how much new injectors are for a PSD? Try about $230 a piece! And those are stock! 6.2L injectors are $25 at my local diesel shop. Plus, just buying a PSD is ridiculous, like $5000 or more from a junk yard. Also, you have to use a computer to make it run.

If my 6.2L ever goes, I'm just going to spend the money on building a 300 hp 6.5L with low comp pistons and all the goodies.

Casey

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

It's been a looong time since I was at Ferd, but the Navistar used simliar fuel injection system as the 6.2. I wouldn't think (but can't remember) the parts would be much worse than the GM. The Power Smoke (which came after my stint) uses a High Pressure Rail fuel system which IS expen$ive. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. DieselBurb

Correct about the "uses a High Pressure Rail fuel system". I was at Navistar for 2 years and had a 99 F250 Super Duty (which both my wife and I are kicking ourselves for trading). I like the PSD, but didn't know if it would even fit between the frame rails. Just from looking, it looks like the frame on the Super duty is a little farther apart than my 85 Burb. BTW, there is a big dollar difference for the injectors when comparing the 6.2 and 7.3. However, the guys at dieselpage.com have them for around $125-130, not $230. But they also have injectors for my early 6.2 for $18.

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, you're right. I just assumed he was talking about the DI PSD, and not the older IDI 6.9's and 7.3's, which did utilize a very similar fuel injection system as our 6.2's. The DI PSD is totatlly different than the IDI motors.

I've never priced parts for the IDI motors....don't know how they stack up.

Casey

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Ditto - fill me in too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Funny how this question pops up here only days after asking the same question at Diesel-Central /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Coincidence? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I hope they're REAL heavy... gotta push my crewcab past the 8000lb mark /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. DieselBurb

I did a quick measurement and found the the frame rails on my 85 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif are about 32 inches apart on the outside. I measured a friends older bodystyle F250 w/ a non-turboed 'Stroke and it measrued around 40 inches. I don't think that a 7.3 will fit physically between the rails. Hood clearance could be fixed and I am not sure how the brake booster would like the fit of the 7.3 either.

Mike

9. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

Have you considered doing a Cummins swap instead? I've never read anything about swapping a Ford diesel into a GM but from what I've read the Cummins swap is doable. IIRC only 2 wires are needed to get it running. I'm electrically challenged but I think even I could pull that off! My latest "Off-Road" magazine has an article about a Cummins swap into a Ford. Only reason I mention it is because the article lists the Cummins engine as being ~3" longer than the Ford diesel it replaced.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Hey look - I had a couple of pics of a 7.3L IDI kicking around (please disregard the V4 compressor /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)
    pic1
    pic2

The exhaust manifolds are oriented almost above the ports - that should help. Might have to do away with the oil cooler under the driver's side manifold.

Hydroboost is fairly compact. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If its in the way, I may be in trouble /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rad hose hookups are on the opposite sides too.

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Go with a Cummins and you don't need hydroboost !
    Has a good sized engine driven vacuum pump right by the PS pump. Find a '89-93 and then use the entire drivetrain. CTD,727(or A518 OD),NP205 RH output. Plus Dana axles!

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I know, I know... a Cummins IS my first choice, but the cost is at least double what I can get the Navistar for - whole truck or just drivetrain. A really mashed up Dodge/Cummins still costs over $3k These things don't run and don't look like a truck anymore /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

I can get a fully dressed running IDI for under $3k, or a complete running truck for the same price.

I do like the accessory drive on the Cummins. I like the idea of a medium-duty airbrake compressor even better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have hydroboost /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm just investigating my options. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to spend so much time and effort and money to swap in a Navistar engine that is only marginally better than a 6.2? The fuel system has the same limitations and these engines were designed to be naturally aspirated or have little boost from a turbo. So, you would be better off sticking with what you got or putting a medium duty diesel in it.

14. DieselBurb

I was lloking at a '99 & on 7.3. The primary reason is that I still have an inkling of company loyalty from working at Navistar. Also, the 7.3 is built to handle more than the 6.2 is (as far as I know - I'm still learning). But, for the year of engine I want and what it would go for, I would probably be better off $-wise building a turbo 6.5. I don't think the PSD would fit between the rails of my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif without a LARGE shoehorn. The Cummins is also appealing since I know that they can make TONS of power & torque. Just brainstorming for now.

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My Burb is just dandy - its my behemoth of a crewcab that needs the diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe Santa will bring me a Cummins for Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I can get a fully dressed running IDI for under $3k, or a complete running truck for the same price.

Guess I did good with my '90 dodge. Bought it as a wreck, drove it home for <$3500. Would be 100% road legal if I was to put a bumper on it.