Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NBS and 91 same VSS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 9, 2006.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

OK im REALLY gonna start collecting parts now to do a SAS in my 99 Silverado. Im gonna do a 10 Bolt, and want to swap in a t-case my question is if I get one from a 90-91 Blazer/Surburban with VSS will my 99 speedo still work?

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure those years of burbs/blazers have a cable driven vss - my '89 does. You would just have to buy a sensor for your t-case. I guess you plan on changing the transfer case? You could run your t-case with a driverside drop front axle from a ford...

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the '91 definintely has an electronic speedo, if i'm not mistaken, the 89 should too.

any special reason for the 10 bolt as opposed to a Ford Dana 44? would make things much simpler if you went with the Ford 44.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the VSS came out in 91 for the K-5s and burbs. Only the 88-up NBS style had the VSS. I would get a Ford axle, whether 60 or 44, that way you won't have to go thru that BS. Better driveline angles too.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

so its all gonna work RIGHT? btw I DONT wanna run ford parts plus I would have to change out the t-case anyways because I have autotrac and I would only have 4Hi and 4Lo if I left what I have plus i think it would but it up anyways

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

An axle out of a Ford doesn't mean it's built by them. iI hate Fords, but don't think I didn't buy a whole truck to get the front end out of it. I would get one out of a 91. Pretty sure they had the VSS that you need. If you can't find one, I don't see why you couldn't swap end housing and tone rings to get VSS. I'm putting a Ford HP60 in my 97 Chevy, doesn' bother me that it's out of a Ford, I don't want to change my case for one, and two, its push button, and I think that would be a wiring disaster. So I just won't change it.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

89 had a cable, 90 and 91 K5's have vss. I have 2 90's and both are vss. I would also agree with everybody else and get a D44 from a Ford.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

why wouldnt it work right? the only thing different between an autotrac transfer case is the fact that it doesnt have a shifter. it functions just the same, and you would have the option of 2wd .

9. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

some autotrac t cases have auto 4 wheel button option, along with 2 hi, 4 hi, 4 low. they have wheel sensors on the front 2 tires, when they are not spinning the same as the rear, it engages. we have this option on my 3 chevys, and my gmc pickup. we do not use the option do to typical harsh engagement that happens. i however do like the ability to just push the button and be in 4 hi rather quick. has been a life saver when i have been run off the road many times in the snow.....