Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NBS rigs, Engine Harness and Body harness seperation, how intertwined?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 11, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My 97 has treated me well but its just not what I want, I think its time to say goodbye to her. Anyway, my cousin has a truck that is damn near exactly what I want. It is a late 90s crew cab 4x4, long bed, dually. Now I don't really want a dually, but I can always remedy that later on. Good shape Crew-Cab 4x4s with all the options are hard to find around these parts, so I won't bitch about a little thing like 6 wheels, who knows maybe I'd grow to like it. It has a d.o.a. 6.5L in it. From his description the thing is TOAST. Being a 6.5L I don't really care to sink the money into a new engine, but I could easily see my way to a 6.0L gas engine swap.

My question really revolves around, how intertwined is the body side of the harness and the engine harness on these new trucks? I know on my 1997 the intermixing of the two seems pretty limited. Makes me wonder how hard it would be to swap to a LQ4(9) but run the factory gauges and OBD-II connector. Any thoughts?

Maybe I'd be better off just getting a 6.5L, but I know it needs a turbo and the engine, and who knows what else, and I'm just not much of a Diesel guy. The truck itself is just beautiful though, at least it was the last time I saw it.

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

First question: why would you want to put a 6.0 into a crew cab long bed truck. 7.4 vortec or a 8.1 would be a better choice and end up costing the same amount of money to swap in.

But I don't think the engine/body harness would be that difficult to do. I would be more worried about exhaust and radiators and everything else involved with changing engines. But wiring comes easy enough for me. It shouldn't be that hard to pick apart the harness and ditch the needed wires.

I would think that you could buy a reman 6.5 and a turbo for almost as cheap as completing a 6.0/anything else swap. Plus the 6.5 should get better mileage.

I dunno, is this a wheeler or a hauler?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hauler all the way. I'm kind of thinking 6.5 is just the best way to go. It is the easiest option of all. www.65ldiesel.com has them for $4500 drop in. Maybe I can find a junkyard unit cheaper.

wiring doesn't bothere me, the biggest pain would just be integrating the stock gauge setup and if any dash wiring crosses over(like A/C switch signal).

I am just not a fan of Diesels, and in the end the 6.5L isn't the greatest of options overall. eh I guess it could be a nice choice.