Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEAD A FAST REPLAY ON COOLING SYSTEM STUFF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, May 24, 2001.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I was driving my truck to work this mornning and when i get here there was coolant on the ground!! First, it is a 1991 Auto, 350, With a new radiator. There is drips on the axle from under the fan to the dtives side. So my thought was that it was the pitcock, opend the hood the steering box is dry. Could it be the bottom hose? and the fan wind spinnin causing it to splash? The temp here is in the 50's and last week it was in the 90's. Last week on leaks, this week leaks? My thought is that the teromsate is not opening (new) and the waterpump is leeking for the pressure on the in-let n hose is causing to leak there. Sorry about the spelling no time to spell check here. Is it posable that the water pump is bad or has a leak some place? The biggest prob is that i was leaving after work to day for a 200 mile trip to get married!!!
    Thanks all!!

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

not bottoned hose checked that, the rad-flued is not on the cross member

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If it is a hose you should be able to tell fairly easy, it just takes getting under there with a rag, making sure everything is dry, warm up the engine and look for leaks. However, what you described really sounds like a water pump, just by the location of the leak.

Hope it is the hose, and congratulations on getting married.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree sounds like the water pump. You should also replace the t-stat. Good luck on both the marraige and the water leak....Dan

5. WakeBoard&4X4er

went out and the seat that the radiatior sits in is wet? and the oil cooler lines are wet directly below the radiatior

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

In the 1990s GM put two piece radiators in cars and some of their trucks. On these raidators the tanks were not braised or welded to the cooling fins part. they were held togeather by a bunch of metal tabs that clamped the tanks and the cooling coil together with a rubber gasket in between. These gaskets are notorious for blowing out and leaking. If you have one of these type raidators check for leaks on either side. But they usually leak from the side that the trans cooler is on.. When this happened to me I pulled the radiator and had a radiator shop fix it they only charged 30.00

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If that is the case, my next suggestion is that the radiatior has a small leak in it.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

8. nd_4_mud

nd_4_mud Registered Member

Sounds like the radiator. Here is a question, I heard that if the pump went bad that it would leak out of the weep holes. There is one on the bottom and one on the top. Correct me if i am wrong.

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When my water pump dies, it will drain through the port on the
    bottom of the pump and trickle down the rad hose - never gets to the radiator.
    91 Blazer.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Actually, there is a vent hole on the top of the water pump as well as on the bottom. Very rarely will it come out from the top hole though- gravity almost always draws the coolant out of the bottom hole(at least from what I have seen.........)

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

11. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Not all pumps have the hole on top. But it will usally come out bottom hole. Look at the radiator at bottom for discolored areas usally a greenish blue color. This means radiator is leaking. Go to a radiator repair discount shop and buy a new radiator. With a 10 year old truck it is likely shot and a recore would be the same or more. My 4 core fro my 89 was 175 with warrenty.