Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nearest place to wheel from Portland/Vancouver

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by k2-k5, Apr 19, 2004.

1. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Looking to take some friends wheeling but don't want to drive for hours to get there. Is there anywhere anymore thats open to wheeling an hour or less from PDX/couv

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

go up past Larch mnt. ... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looking to take some friends wheeling but don't want to drive for hours to get there. Is there anywhere anymore thats open to wheeling an hour or less from PDX/couv

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on what kind of terain your looking for ?
    if you want major mud then try cedar swamps its just east on hwy 14 about 15 minutes east of camas then some side roads if you want I can give complete directions.

post up what you are looking for.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cedar swamps its just east on hwy 14 about 15 minutes east of camas then some side roads if you want I can give complete directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do tell! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think you can get there by going up washougal river road and taking a right at the first bridge... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Basically a place where you won't get hair-assed by the man.

Mud, Sand, or just some easy trails that won't get your body panels bashed in. I have some friends that have newer 4wheel drives (stock) and I don't think they want to see any body damage the first time out.

But other then that how about some good mud holes that won't bury a truck that has less then 35's on it. My other friend is getting his ScoutII ready to roll so were eager to go out and break something.

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    cedar swamps its just east on hwy 14 about 15 minutes east of camas then some side roads if you want I can give complete directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be a long read because its been a couple years since ive been there.

ok you take hwy 14 past washougal somewhere around 15 minutes then after you pass cape horn (its the spot where its about 1000 ft straight down to the columbia with a pull off and viewing area) the road will be about 2 miles farther on the left its called maybe mines rd. and heads to the north up a hill. when you get to the top there will be a road to the right that passes a couple of fields at the turn.
    head up this road till it turns into gravel I cant remember exactly how far but not to far there will be a single gravel road to the right. follow this for quite a ways it will cross a couple of creeks. then you will come to another road to the right take this turn and it will head down hill you will start seeing little mud play areas then will come to a wooden bridge that looks torn up a little. you can either cross through the water or stay on the bridge after crossing the road will turn slightly left and head slightly up hill there wont be any gravel on the road here its all mud.
    there will be a tank trap in front of you that has a road around it dont try the tank trap because it about 10ft deep of water (ask me how I know)
    after the tank trap the road will have a y stay to the left. if you go right its just another way back to hwy 14
    when you take the left you will come up to some power lines take a left hear and get out and walk the trail. it is very hard core. if you know anything how browns camps mud alley trail use to be about 12 years ago this is the same crap. im talking about the browns camp on the washington side. if you arent up to the task there are a lot of other play areas around here. you can go back across the creekand when you get to the road you turned down on go right it will take you to the other side of the swamp if you stay on the powerlines there are some good trails and climbs. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

have fun and post up if you do go. when I get moved back there june 1st I will gladly take anyone in there.

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you can get there by going up washougal river road and taking a right at the first bridge... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not the first bridge but way up the river past the mercantile.
    there is another bridge to the right that one will take you to the same spot just take a left at the field on top of the mountain. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Basically a place where you won't get hair-assed by the man.

Mud, Sand, or just some easy trails that won't get your body panels bashed in. I have some friends that have newer 4wheel drives (stock) and I don't think they want to see any body damage the first time out.

But other then that how about some good mud holes that won't bury a truck that has less then 35's on it. My other friend is getting his ScoutII ready to roll so were eager to go out and break something.

[/ QUOTE ]

cedar swamps wouldnt be for you 40" tires get swallowed there.
    but the trails around there are good and you dont have to get body damage to do them plus its legal /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I can never give directions, but I could drive right to it... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can never give directions, but I could drive right to it... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

we need to go wheeling when I get back up there /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Actually you turn left off hwy 14 on Salmon Falls road, and right on Mabee Mines whcih is a couple miles up. Somebody told me the other day they are cracking down on the wheelin up there? Im not sure if its true or not though

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually you turn left off hwy 14 on Salmon Falls road, and right on Mabee Mines whcih is a couple miles up. Somebody told me the other day they are cracking down on the wheelin up there? Im not sure if its true or not though

[/ QUOTE ]

thats right oops from the washougal river its also the salmon falls bridge. we use to salmon fish off that big bastard.

14. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Cedar Swamp is some good big tire deep mud wheelin', 40's or bigger /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Some good power line trails in that same area that are suitable for 33's and up that include some good rutty trails and if it has rained some mud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a friend who has a pit in his field right now that is a good play area. I am thinking of maybe getting together with him and seeing about testing out my Blazer since it hasn't been offroad yet (its very local right off 117th Ave). Let you know about that.

Orrrrrr Woodland bottoms next to the Lyons Day park every saturday, sand and deep mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is a little of everything for every tire size and experience level, enough to get their feet dirty /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cedar Swamp is some good big tire deep mud wheelin', 40's or bigger /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Some good power line trails in that same area that are suitable for 33's and up that include some good rutty trails and if it has rained some mud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a friend who has a pit in his field right now that is a good play area. I am thinking of maybe getting together with him and seeing about testing out my Blazer since it hasn't been offroad yet (its very local right off 117th Ave). Let you know about that.

Orrrrrr Woodland bottoms next to the Lyons Day park every saturday, sand and deep mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is a little of everything for every tire size and experience level, enough to get their feet dirty /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

is woodland bottoms still open ?
    we use to go and camp there every weekend about 10 years ago. sure was fun

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm...mmmkay...

'fumes - let's go, show me how to get there. I'll have to follow you 'cause we might need a way to get back to town /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Jeff & Deanna - How do I get to Woodland Bottoms? When are you going next?

Bob - When you get back in town, I'd love to do some wheeling with ya! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You might have to tow me back though. Seems to happen EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME I go out these days! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And it's usually for something stupid like a radiator or something. Never anything worth telling about /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is woodland bottoms still open ?
    we use to go and camp there every weekend about 10 years ago. sure was fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Why every Saturday? I was there a couple years ago for 4th of July.

18. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmm...mmmkay...

'fumes - let's go, show me how to get there. I'll have to follow you 'cause we might need a way to get back to town /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Jeff & Deanna - How do I get to Woodland Bottoms? When are you going next?

Bob - When you get back in town, I'd love to do some wheeling with ya! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You might have to tow me back though. Seems to happen EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME I go out these days! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And it's usually for something stupid like a radiator or something. Never anything worth telling about /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

your the kinda guy im afraid to go wheeling with.
    I go to grab a beer and find you under my rig unbolting my driveshaft for your rig /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

just kidding I cant wait to get some old friends together from up there and some new ones from here on CK5 I plan on doing a lot of wheeling this coming summer and I really cant wait for the snow.

im a little bored with all the rocks down here im looking forward to the trees and mud. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Is the place near washougal BLM land private property or what? Sounds like a fun place as long as someone has a winch.

Any other places nearby?

I used to go down by Vancouver Lake but that has been closed for awhile.
    There is some other places in Woodland but I am unsure if they are open. One is from the Little Kalama river road that comes to a 4way then i think you go right. This might be closed. Then there is the powerlines from Butte Hill and there was Fredrickson road. Saw a nice 1st gen K5 roll there.

20. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

last summer some friends of mine and I took our 4x4 quads up to our old wheeling area on the woodland power lines to see if they were still open.
    it sure has changed a lot but was still fun ass hell.

I will deffinitely be going back up there this summer.