Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nearly Bought the FARM over a $3 part!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aandpman, Sep 20, 2002.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had quite a scare this week. I passed a dude who was doing 45 in a 70 about 2 miles from my house. When I had finished passing him, I noticed that my truck was still gaining speed. Tapped on the skinny pedal a few times. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I then STOMPED on the skinny pedal a few times /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . NO LUCK. It was obvious the throttle was stuck-ola /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . A couple hundred yards from my driveway(road) I shut 'er down and coasted in with no power brakes or steering. Upon inspection this is what I found.... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

My 85 K-10 has a Holley 600 Vacuum secondary carb on it, and needless to say the stock air cleaner does not fit over the electric choke. Somewhere along the way I bought one of those little $4 plastic 3/4" ring spacers at the autoparts store (probably Mr.Gasket) to raise the air cleaner to clear it.

Well....after a couple of years of commendable service the little sucker broke /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . I found a 3" long piece of it wedged in one of the secondary butterflies. There is no telling how long it had sat in that barrel just WAITING for me to nail the throttle, open the secondaries and thus insert itself where it shouldn't.

It was long enough to wedge in there and not get sucked through. The butterfiles were wedged open far enough to sound like full throttle when I cranked the engine in the driveway.

<font color="red"> If anyone else is running one of these little POS's I'd advise you to chunk it and replace with one from Holley or someone else that is built out of something thicker and stouter before the same thing happens to you, only in a worse place than almost home (like on the trail, or in city traffic) </font color>

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow, good thing to look for.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

WOW, glad you were able to find the problem. That is one reason why I made mine out of aluminum.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I had a similar experience w/ the carb to air cleaner gasket. I was on a road that has S curves rated at 35 MPH in my Jeep on 40s. I noticed something was wrong when I hit the 1st corner and I didnt have much for brakes. By the time I was to the 2nd corner I was going about 65-70. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I managed to hang it around the corner and shut it down coming out of it. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road.

When I managed to brake suction from the seat, /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I got out and found that gasket. Obviously it wasnt wide open, but it was hung up in there somehow, enough to hold it 1/2 open, on an 850 mech. sec. carb, so BOTH primary and sec. was 1/2 open. I ripped out what I could and let the rest get sucked in when I fired it back up. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I havent run a carb to air cleaner gasket since. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hmmm...kind of like this gasket?

[​IMG]

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Prob something along that lines. This happened back in like 91. Been a long time. Still have no idea how it happened. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I can sympathize with that. I was driving my 66 GTO (built 455 with 3x2 at the time) in traffic and nailed it to pass in a small gap. Throttle hung wide open, man what a ride. Surprising how much speed you can gain and ground that can be covered in a car like that, out of control under WOT, before you can react with enough startled/scared thought to hit the key and brake. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm,
    Russ, umm... ahh... can i uhh, have another one of your toys? he he, i need a GTO...
    66 is a ncie year with the 6 pack also... VROOM!! now i am going to have to find a way up there some day... just to check out yer toys
    grant

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sorry, sold that bad boy years ago when I moved from AL. Couldn't take all my toys with me moving to an apartment in Seattle. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Also sold a 39 Chevy Coupe street rod among other things. Man, I miss that GTO most of all. Bought it out of a horse pasture (had a rusty tag on it that was 10 years out of date) when I was 17 years old and went completely through it, even had the original block on an engine stand in my shop... When bought it had had 67k original miles, original paint, never wrecked with the original Rally I wheels in the trunk.

10. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

lol..
    sorry not laughing at you..
    My truck did the same thing wedsday...

My accelerator cable majorly splayed itsalf.. inside the sheath.. stuck at WOT... not cool when you turn the truck off and it doesnt turn off... hehe.. and you now doing 90 plus...
    needless to say i bought a new cable! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif