Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

neat trick for pesky u-bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Dec 17, 2006.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

had to swap springs out of the 86 today, well the u-bolts I had made were just a tad off and they would involve ALOT of grunt work..

easy trick, use two hose clamps, put them together at the threads, tighten the hose clamp and walla..no grunt work, plates slide over the threads like cake:laugh:

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

a large channel lock works well too.

3. supersize75k5

wee nevermind all my happyness anyways,

just twisted a tube on my freaking 14 bolt:mad: :( :doah:

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

strut compressor.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use my hands...

Rene

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

X2 never really had a problem with U-bolts :confused:

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

x3, MAN UP!

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats the way I did it when I put a 14 bolt in using 10 bolt plates. then when I swapped again I got the right plates.

but I am geussing the shop who made yours made them slightly off. you should sue them for having to work so hard.:rolleyes:

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

10. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

i also use a set of large channel locks

11. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

I also DON'T have a large set of channel locks:D , so I like the Idea of the hose clamp, until I can get them, to use on not so spung right ubolts.

12. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I just s**tcanned the u-bolts altogether :D

[​IMG]

13. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, and your design still scares me... no I'm not saying it's gonna mess up it just looks like it's going to...

14. supersize75k5

freaks me out too...if I saw this on a heavy truck/semi/rv I would be pissed

being that I use to be around a sping and u-bolt manufacture and service center, I can say it would have pics taken and hung on the wall if they saw something like this.

15. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

besides the fact that that setup will not slide over rocks as well as regular U bolts will. its probably pretty strong actually, but NO I would not ever run that setup. good for a quick trail repair....maybe.

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

:rolleyes: I merely look at them and the suck together cuz they know what sinister things im capable of:D

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

:haha::haha::haha:

18. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

So, explain to me what is wrong with it. The top plate is 1/2" steel with reinforcement braces welded on, the bottom plates are stock GM NBS, and it is held together with four 9/16" grade 8 bolts and all metal lock nuts. The stresses are no different from the stock NBS mounting arrangement. In fact, they are better because they have no sharp 90 degree bends with high stress concentrations where the original NBS bolts wrapped around the springs.

One thing to remember about spring shop u-bolts: SAE specs say that 9/16" and larger u-bolts should be grade 8. In order to make a grade 8 fastener, you do all your forming, and then you heat treat the part. This is opposite of what spring shops do. Assuming their threaded rods are even grade 8 (which I doubt), then by forming them into a u shape they are stretching a heat treated part. This definitely weakens the material, yet nobody questions the strength of them when they bolt em onto their rigs. They don't (normally) break, and I guarantee they aren't as strong as my setup.

You can examine them firsthand when we do the Martinez run. I think you will find they aren't as scary looking as you think ;)

19. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I use medium size welding vise grips to pull u bolts in.The work good for pushing caliper pistons in too.I was told along time ago that the reason U bolts are used on trucks is the give or elasticity of the u bolts.They are supposed to give enough not to loosen up much.The same person "Grandpa" told me that Straight bolts are for clamping together and not side loads or repeated loads on the bolt it self.The torque or prestrech on the bolt is to hold surfaces togather and not load and unload the bolt.Does that make eny sense ?.

20. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

The reason u-bolts are used is because they are inexpensive, and therefore save the manufacturers money. U-bolts don't require forging to manufacture like bolts do. They just need to have the threads rolled, bent into shape, and heat treated. If they used an arrangement like mine then they would need four bolts plus another plate. More parts = more money. U-bolts are simple, inexpensive, and they work. There is no magic or voodoo related to u-bolts.

I was originally going to use u-bolts, but no local shop had any good ones (i.e. heat treated after bending and zinc dichromate coated) in the proper length for a 3-3/8" axle tube. I would have had to order them and wait a week, and I didn't have the time. I was able to get the long bolts locally and get the install finished within my original timeframe. It has worked just fine, so I see no reason to change it.