Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need 12-bolt Help FAST!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, May 9, 2002.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I've having a shop do my gears in my 12-bolt and he says the open carrier cross pin has some play in it. I was gonna leave it open and in a month or so put in a lock right but now sounds like I need to replace the whole carrier.
    Question is: What's the likelyhood that just the cross pin is worn and not the carrier itself??? And is it worth it to buy a replacement cross pin to see??
    Thanks in advance.
    Jason

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you were going to lock it in a month or two might as well pay the install fee only once.
    grant

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'd second doing it now because putting in a locker is going to cost just as much as what you had done now.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if you have play in the cross pin most likely your carrier is damaged too. if it's a large enough shop they should have another pin laying around that they use to check the condition of the carrier.
    you can always use micrometers to check for tollerances, they should have those and know the specs, again if the shop is a good known one. if they don't take it somewhere else.

as for the lock right, you should be able to do the install, never installed one, but i took one apart.

ARQ.

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

The older shafts weren't very hard. It could be worn out, but you would be able to tell from inspecting it.

Could be the carrier. They should be able to tell by looking at it, is this a reputable shop??

6. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well, it's the only reputable shop for gear installs in my area. He's ordering a new pin for me but it won't be in 'till monday so i guess then I'll know if it's the carrier, the pin, or both.
    If it is the carrier, I guess my whole plan is shot and I'll probably end up with an Eaton.