Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need 14 bolt measurements

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 20, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tried searching but as usual just too much crap. I know I had these before.

I need the measurement from the backside of the brake backingplate mounting spindle to the outside of the spring pad. Need to install some spring pads on my 14 bolt this weekend.

Then I need the measurement from the outside to outside of the leaf springs.

I need these from a K5 or equivalent(K10 or K20).

The axle is going under my s10 temporarily so I'm just gonna bolt it up to the leaf springs till October when it comes out and the 4 link goes in.

2. 82dieselburb

82dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I measured a standard width 14 bolt in my garage.It is 4 1/2 inches from the inside of the backing plate to the outside of the spring perch.Hope this helps

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Ummm...

Just set your perches on the axle and raise it into place onto the springs. Measure the distance between one of the brake backing plate mounting spindles and the perch. Measure the other one. Make them equal by moving the axle left or right as required. Double check your spring pin center to center distance and comfirm that it's 42.5. Tack your perches. Weld your perches.

If you don't have springs and a frame to use, just set the perches on the tube and make the spindle to pearch distance the same on both sides while keeping the center to center distance at 42.5".

On the springs outside to outside measurement- If the distance on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton axles is 42.5 as mentioned above, (you should know that already) and the springs are 2.5" wide, then it's a matter of simple math. 45".

This is easy to do by yourself with some creative thinking, you're just bein lazy. :p:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

i know I was being lazy. I thought about doing it your way(since last time I was off a little bit and had to move my mounts anyway), just looking for the easier route. Heck I will likely end up not even tack welding the perches since its just going to be supporting the weight and storing the 14 bolt.