Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need 350 engine help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AmericanFreak, Mar 4, 2002.

1. AmericanFreak

AmericanFreak Registered Member

Alright here it goes i bought a willys jeep with an awesome 350 motor in it. It fires right up and idles great. Here my question it looks like an older 350 (no emmisions crap on it) how can i tell the exact year it is(the engine not the jeep, jeeps getting junked)? Would it be extremly hard to get it to bolt up to my 86 blazer? I have a 305 700r4 and np208. I plan on getting the motor machined at a shop and get rebuilt but i cant give up this deal $50 dollars for the entire jeep including engine from my uncle. I need all the info i can get
    Thanks

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

There's a serial # stamped on the back of the block between the cylinder head and the trans. Can't remember if it's on the driver or passinger side, but it should be obvious. With that # I'm sure someone on this site can tell you the year. Regardless, it should bolt directly into your 86

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

It will go in your 86 with no real problems.

There may be a very small code stamped on the shelf in front of the head (can't remember which side). This would tell you what vehicle it came out of if you had somewhere to get it decoded. You could try the dealership.

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Don't confuse this number with the casting number which is a big number on the driver side rear. The casting number will not tell you the exact year.

Your casting number is probably 3970010

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Won't the casting number tell you the date of manufacture. I know that it is not neccesarily the model year of the vehicle, but I thought it would tell you the date and other info about when, where the engine was made?

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Only will tell you what yearS that casting was made. I.E. 3970010 was made from 69 to 79

7. AmericanFreak

AmericanFreak Registered Member

thanks im going to post the serial number tommorrow to see if some one can help me identify it

8. 73 Heavyd

73 Heavyd Registered Member