Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need 4.56 1/2-Ton Axles.....? Anyone LOCAL got 'em?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Greg72, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Need 4.56 1/2-Ton Axles.....? Anyone LOCAL got \'em?

OK here's the story since I KNOW with a subject line like that, everyone will be wondering if I'm insane!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Just to clarify this is not for Stomper! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I just got the "freshly built" 700R4 back from the shop and got it bolted up underneath "Mini Me" this evening....by tomorrow, I should have the transfer case and driveshafts attached and be ready to roll.......

THE PROBLEM:

If you listen to Scott for too long, he'll scare you about EVERYTHING! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif He's convinced that the 35's I put on are going to absolutely NOT work with the 3.73s it's got. He is sure that on hills it's going to keep dropping out of OD, and is going to burn up all that $$$ I just spent on my new transmission! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

The answer would seem to be to go with some deeper gears....the part I hate, is that the truck has 10-Bolts and it REALLY seems like a waste to pay money to re-gear the weakest axles GM ever put under a K5! But the reality is that I'm NOT going to wheel this thing EVER, so 10-Bolts will probably last forever for street driving....

The transmission already cost me a pretty penny, so I'm looking for a cheap solution that will give me 4.56 gears....14-Bolt is overkill and too complex for the simple swap I'm after....12-Bolt is marginally stronger, but not worth the effort to swap unless it already has the 4.56s I want. I can buy bare gearsets (Scott has already offered me ONE set) but I still have to pay for parts and installation since I can't set up gears myself.

Any ideas on how to solve this....or do you know where a 1/2-Ton 4.56 axle exists....? I've still got some good stuff to trade, if people want to barter for it.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Keep your eyes peeled folks, and let me know if you have ideas!

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: Need 4.56 1/2-Ton Axles.....? Anyone LOCAL got \'em?

Hmm...I know the chances aren't real good, but I haven't pulled the cover off the diff's in the '82 K10 I have......It's a long shot, but if those 10 bolts are 4.56, I'll let ya know. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Work somethin out maybe. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Greg72

You KNOW we'd work something out!

....plus that would give me an excuse to drag Scott up there to see you, and the three of us could go wheelin' and shoot Raviolis together! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

That would be pretty bad ass..Maybe Scott will have his D60 built by then so he can actually use four wheel drive..lol! You'd love this place I showed Scott when he came up here...Did he tell ya about it? Anyways, as far as those 10 bolts go......Don't get your hopes up...The truck originally had a 6.2 diesel, So if the gears are OEM, they are probably 3.73's. But who knows......It had a TBI 402 and a TH400 tranny..So anything possible. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg, just keep it in Drive not OD when your on any hilly area. Then it won't be "hunting" when driving. Then when you're on I5 doing 70 plus put it in OD. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WHAT??????
    What is this "I can't set up gears myself!" CRAP!!!
    It should say "I have never done a R&P swap and I'm scared I might grande them on my first try!" WAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
    Come On MAN!! YouCanDoIt!! Hell if my drunkass can doit you can too!!
    CCCCCHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO,, CCHHHOOOOOOOOOO
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....CCCHHHHHHHOOOOOOO,,CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Up and over the hill!
    If the little red engine can doit SO CAN YOU!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Just think of the new tools you get to add to your collection!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you listen to Scott for too long, he'll scare you about EVERYTHING! He's convinced that the 35's I put on are going to absolutely NOT work with the 3.73s it's got.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've got the same gears in my truck, and I'm 33's. When it comes to hills, all fun is lost and that part of the trip is a pain in the butt. And besides, isn't 3.73 the carrier split?

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

As a few others have said... I'd keep your 3.73's and run it in "OD" only when out on the flat hi-way.

I'm running 3.73's and 35's w/no OD and it's not that bad. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Marv

9. Greg72

Marv &amp; Others,

I like your idea (just keep it out of OD!)....it's has a nice LOW cost (FREE!) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

That will give me time to evaluate how much of a "dog" it is around town in 1st and 2nd gear....and decide if it bothers me enough to spend MORE money on a truck that is supposed to not cost me a lot of money!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

One moneypit K5 is enough..... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. Greg72

Burt,

By the way, I've owned the truck for less than a week, and it's already spent the majority of that time on jackstands in my garage!!!!

Do you think the wife isn't going to "comment" on that pretty soon.....? LOL! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

This truck needs to be back on it's own tires and driving around, or things are going to get ugly. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I gotta agree with Burt on this, I'm setting up my own gears for the 60 and 14bFF, and even though I haven't got them finished yet, the work that I've done on them has proven to me that all it takes is patience and attention to detail to get gears set right. The right tools help too /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif </font color>

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If it isn't going to be wheeled... Sell the 35" tires and put some 275/75 tires on it and be done. It would get better gas mileage, drive better, be quicker, and last longer. Selling the 35" you should MAKE some money to boot!

I know, I know... sacrilige.

But hey, that's the truth!

Good luck.

13. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I have been running 35's on my 3.42 gears for the past year. I haven't had too much problems, the only thing i notice is when i have to go up hill, but even that hasn't been bad. I however don't have overdrive. If you stay out of overdrive you will have first 3 gears to go through.. basically a TH350. May want to ad a tranny cooler just in case.

14. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I had 3.07's and 33's for over 2 years. It wasn't that bad.. There is alot of people on the site with 3.73's and 35's (I plan on running the same,when I put my 4" lift in) In the future I would change gears,but I wouldn't worry about it as of now Greg.

15. Greg72

Nick,

I hear ya.....but I just can't put the "weenine tires" back on it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

It looks so awful with those small tires, and looks so GOOD with the 35's!.....so they are staying on it.

Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little practicality for "style".....LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Just run a big tranny cooler and stay out of OD on the streets... well the freeway too cuz there's always traffic down there /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif 3.73's and 35's can't be too bad... I ran 3.08's and 35x14.5 Boggers for a year... it sucked ass on hills but the 10 bolt went out before the tranny did.

17. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If I was ready for the 14BoltFF &amp; D60 right now I'd give up my 12bolt &amp; D44 built w/4:56 &amp; Detroits...........But not quite read to cash up for the parts or labor right now.........Just started new J.O.B. this week for WM and gotta catch up on the regular bills first you guys know how it is. Soon though soon! (I hope!)
    Bill

18. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Seven reasons not to re-gear

If i were you.... id trade the 35's for 33's. Then you could keep the 3:73's and be done with it. Here are my reasons:

First, it will be cheap. Im sure you can find a dozen members that will trade you good 33's for your 35's.
    Second, it will get better mileage not having to turn the huge 35's over, plus it will handle better and ride better. The weight difference between the two is alot !
    Third, you are never gonna off-road it, so you dont need the bennefits of 35's
    Fouth, you dont plan on lifting it, so you dont really need the 35's, and the 33's would probrably look better anyway.
    Fifth, the 33's will fit your stock alloy wheel width better, giving you less sidewall height and thus better side to side stability. Plus, i bet your 35's are a bitch to keep in balance.
    Sixth, i bet your girlie would rather not have to climb into the thing all the time. Stomper is one thing, but this is your new, comfy family truckster. She has to like it !
    Seventh, in the future, you may be using this to tow Stomper, the stability gained in the smaller tire and lower CG will bennefit this big time. plus, you dont have the brakes for bigger tires and Stomper behind you too !

okay.... thats about all....... ; ) if i think of more i'll let you know.
    later..... TORI

19. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll trade you a set of 33's for a set of 35's.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

seee...... there's one /forums/images/icons/grin.gif