Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need 700r4 and transfer case info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crossy, Aug 23, 2001.

1. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

when did they switch from a 208 to a 241 x-fer and why,? whats different?
    were there differnet 700r4s as far as output size.I found an 84 shortbed near me and the thing has no motor or trans in it , the guy said that the tranny core he had to go with it was worth something because it was a heavier duty one with bigger output. I am familiar with 2WD stuff and know the differences in certain year 700's as far as upgrades go but I never heard of different out put sizes. thanx for any help ,DAVE

Always searching for that pot of gold!Got any old musclecar parts lying around????

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The only thing I can think of would be the output shaft length!! That varries from different versions in the 4x4 community

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

Always searching for that pot of gold!Got any old musclecar parts lying around????

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

There is a difference between 2wd and 4wd cases. 2wd cases have a 4 bolt dust shield and are a bit weaker in the case web area, 4wd cases have a 6 bolt dust shield and are a bit stronger in the case web area. They also use these 4wd cases in S-10 series with the 4.3L engine but the cut the top two side bolt off to clear the tunnel. Output shaft length, not diameter is the only difference in the output shaft. Aside from the problem years, when rebuilding a 700r4, the new updates can be retrofitted to the earlier cases.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

They started with the 241s in '88. It is basically an improved version of the 208.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison