Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need 700r4 Help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berg76, Feb 10, 2007.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I just had my 700 rebuilt with a TCI rebuild kit and a corvette servo. I got it reinstalled with new stock torque converter. But it wont move in reverse. There is a very very slight drop in rpm when you shift it initially. It seams to shift fine into the forward gears. But im not sure as I cant get it out of the garage without reverse. Fluid levels are right on. I reset the TV cable according to how everyone says.

Any ideas ??!??!?!??! PLEASE!!

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

id check linkage first, then i think id pull the tranny as a seal is probably scored/bad from installation and no hyd pressure is being built up for reverse. Btw, i hate tci, they screwed me on my rebuilt tranny (th350 died in 3 months behind a crate 350 in an elcamino), and there torque convertors suck, as well as there valve bodies, and there customer service licks big harry monkey balls.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

SOooo, basically,,,,,,,,,,you don't like TCI much :p:

4. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

The linkage is seams fine. So you think its internal then? I was going to try and hook up a pressure guage to the driver side port and see what it reads. Any other suggestions?

5. onetonbb74

yeah, id try the pressure guage on the driver side. I dunno if thats the total pump pressure, or the pressure in the valve body for the gear. If its total pump pressure, it wont help you any.

6. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

it will eliminate the pump itself as being bad right?

7. onetonbb74

correct. I do believe that the guage thing will help you because its recommended on bowtieoverdrives.com on how to set up the t.v. cable properly and they mention its best to have a pressure guage to be precise.

8. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Ok so i have the guage hooked up.

Park
    idle ~60psi
    2000rm ~60psi
    2700-3000 60~70psi only for a split second then back to ~60psi

Reverse
    idle 55~60psi

Drive
    idle ~60psi

pulling the tv cable at idle only adds 2 or 3 psi. I dont have a second set of hands right now to hold it at 2000rpm and pull the tv cable manually.

Either the pump is fine and somthing is losing pressure continuously or the pump is bad. What do you think? I cant get ahold of my rebuilder til tomorrow.

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know you said you've checked the levels but it's worth doing it again, trust me......ask me how I know!!!

Start it up and with foot on brake run it through the gears, one at a time staying in each gear for a few seconds. When you've cycled through the lot and got back to Park, check the oil (motor idling obviously) The level wants to be between the 2 dimples at the bottom of the dipstick. From experience it actually needs to be at or just above the upper dimple, that way when the trans is fully hot the level will be good.

As a side note, I rebuilt my trans (700 and previously a 350) with all TCI parts and they've been great and stood up to some seriously work and they're RV/HD convertors are the best I've used!

So there!:D

10. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Well I have run it through the gears several times. Checked and rechecked the level. Its just a 1/16 over the hash area for ok.

I got ahold of the guy who rebuilt it. He says it could be a couple things. The pressures are way to low aparently. It has all forward gears and reverse.

Just what i wanted to do on a saturday night when its 20degrees out!!! WoooHoooo!

11. onetonbb74

Unless they have changed there ways from 2001. Every TCI part ive seen has failed quick, or caused something else to fail. To me and what ive invested into there company (2500.00 or so in a couple different trannies) I got nothing in return but ****ty attitude on the phone and no warranty luck. id have to say those pressures sure look low. imo

12. southernspeed

That fluid level is way too high. That hatch area for ok is for when the fluid is HOT, like a hot cup of coffee hot or more. Cool/warm fluid should be between the 2 dimples at the very bottom of the dipstick.

13. southernspeed

High fluid can aerate and cause big problems.