Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a 14Bff expert. Any takers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAJA_BLAZER, Jan 13, 2004.

1. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I have several questions for you 14Bff experts, especially those with real world experience. My 10B is loosing a wheel bearing and it's time to swap in the 14Bff that I have been saving for just such an occasion.

1) Does anyone make and sell a Full Spool (complete carrier) for the 14Bff 10.5" Ring Gear.

2) Does anyone make and sell a Mini Spool (replaces spider and side gears in an open diff carrier) for the 14Bff 10.5" Ring Gear. I have seen one advertised, but it's not yet available.

3) Has anyone had experience with and used Grady's 14Bff 6061 T6 Aluminum FF Hubs. They are available in 6 0n 5.5" but are the available in other configurations like 5 on 5.5"? How much Track Width if any do they add? Do they require custom axles or axle mods?

4) Is anyone using or familiar with any Alloy Axles for the 14Bff 10.5" Ring Gear.

5) Can anyone confirm the part number for the conversion U-Joint when swapping in a 14Bff for a 10B in a '90 Blazer? I believe it is a Neapco 2-1153 or a NAPA #447. Is any other driveline modification (lengthening/shortening) needed when making this swap?

I appreciate your help and expertise!

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

No expert on spools but I have run a 14 and built a couple others. You will ablsolutely explode a 1310 or maybe even a 1350 u-joint, your aluminum t-case, or stock slip yoke, prior to snapping an axle shaft. I am sure someone can make alloy shafts but the demand is not there. The only spool I know of is made with mostly 3 major companies: Lincon, Miller, & Hobart, all make great spools /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have several questions for you 14Bff experts, especially those with real world experience. My 10B is loosing a wheel bearing and it's time to swap in the 14Bff that I have been saving for just such an occasion.

<font color="red">Real world experience? </font> /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

1) Does anyone make and sell a Full Spool (complete carrier) for the 14Bff 10.5" Ring Gear.

<font color="red">No </font>

2) Does anyone make and sell a Mini Spool (replaces spider and side gears in an open diff carrier) for the 14Bff 10.5" Ring Gear. I have seen one advertised, but it's not yet available.

<font color="red">As far as I know, No. </font>

3) Has anyone had experience with and used Grady's 14Bff 6061 T6 Aluminum FF Hubs. They are available in 6 0n 5.5" but are the available in other configurations like 5 on 5.5"? How much Track Width if any do they add? Do they require custom axles or axle mods?

<font color="red">I guess you don't want to run 8 lug. Well check your local laws first. In the state of Pa it is illegal to run spacers thicker then 1/4" there for the adapters to change lug pattern are illegal here. I don't run them so I can't help on this one. </font>

4) Is anyone using or familiar with any Alloy Axles for the 14Bff 10.5" Ring Gear.

<font color="red">I think your far from needing these. The stock shafts don't break that easily. </font>

5) Can anyone confirm the part number for the conversion U-Joint when swapping in a 14Bff for a 10B in a '90 Blazer? I believe it is a Neapco 2-1153 or a NAPA #447. Is any other driveline modification (lengthening/shortening) needed when making this swap?

<font color="red">Yep, Napa 447 is what you will need in your 90. </font>

<font color="red">You are welcome. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am not a 14 FF expert., but I do own a few of them.

1. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. Don't know why you'd want to do this, a 15x10 8 lug wheel costs $40 and would eliminate the need for that useless modification. I don't know why you'd only want 5 lug nuts holding your big tires on, but IMO that's not a good idea. Just leave the damn thing alone already. There's a reason than an axle that big and heavy uses 8 lug wheels, and it's much safer when you're going to run large tires.

4. No, because they're not necessary.

5. Yes, that's the correct part number for the U joints.

5. BAJA_BLAZER

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have several questions for you 14Bff experts, especially those with real world experience. My 10B is loosing a wheel bearing and it's time to swap in the 14Bff that I have been saving for just such an occasion. <font color="blue">Thank you for the replies. I have done some more research since posting these questions and will pass along what I have learned as well as respond to some of your comments.</font>

<font color="red">Real world experience? </font> /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    <font color="blue">Real world experience meaning you have firsthand knowledge. Too many people want to offer opinions not knowledge.</font>

<font color="red">No </font>
    <font color="blue">I'm surprised that with as popular as these axles are, there are no Full Spools available. The only one that I have been able to locate is made by Sandy Cone but it is for a 40-spline axle and not for stock axles</font>

<font color="red">As far as I know, No. </font>
    <font color="blue">Ouverson Engineering in Milaca, MN and Drivetrain Direct in Corona, CA are both advertising Mini Spools, but don't have them actually available at this time. They both say they will be available in two weeks. Welding is an option that I am not very excited about.</font>

<font color="red">I guess you don't want to run 8 lug. Well check your local laws first. In the state of Pa it is illegal to run spacers thicker then 1/4" there for the adapters to change lug pattern are illegal here. I don't run them so I can't help on this one. </font>
    <font color="blue">Grady's are not wheel spacers or adapters, they are a whole new Hub. I do not want to run 8 Lug wheels. I have dozens of 15" and 17" 5 on 5.5" Aluminum Beadlock Wheels with 35" and 37" tires on them. This blazer will be a Prerunner/Chase Vehicle for our Desert Racing Team and all of the Race Trucks run 5 on 5.5" wheels. As for the strength issue that someone else brought up, we put 670Hp to 37" tires with no problems related this lug pattern.</font>

<font color="red">I think your far from needing these. The stock shafts don't break that easily. </font>
    <font color="blue">I am concerned because we do regularly break 35 and 40 spline 300M axles in the Race Trucks and Prerunners. The axles must get a lot more shock loading in the desert than in other wheeling. </font>

<font color="red">Yep, Napa 447 is what you will need in your 90. </font>
    <font color="blue"> Thanks! </font>

<font color="red">You are welcome. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

<font color="blue">What I am trying to do is build a cheap but reliable 5 on 5.5" Full Floater Prerunner Rear Axle for Full-sized Trucks with 35" to 37" Tires and 450Hp. Right now the options are $3500 to $6000 Custom Ford 9" Axles or $6000 to $12000 Chrisman’s and others. I think the 14Bff is the answer. You guys have proved how tough it is. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not run the Sandy Cone 40 spline spool...then you can run the 40 spline 300M shafts as well.

[​IMG]

Those look swanky... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Rene

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What I am trying to do is build a cheap but reliable 5 on 5.5" Full Floater Prerunner Rear Axle for Full-sized Trucks with 35" to 37" Tires and 450Hp. Right now the options are $3500 to $6000 Custom Ford 9" Axles or $6000 to $12000 Chrisman’s and others. I think the 14Bff is the answer. You guys have proved how tough it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is tough but if you are desert racing doesnt the unsprung weight become an issue? A Dana 60 FF may be a better option if you want to save a little weight.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, those do look swanky!!!

Seeing those things make you go, "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm." /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Crap! Now my brains going in full speed after seeing that pic! Make me start planning some changes now. Damn you, Jelles! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. tRustyK5

LOL, don't blame me...I just clicked his link. Someone had to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I clicked that link also. When the pics came up I was thinking "Hmm, now there's a solution in search of a problem!" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I clicked that link also. When the pics came up I was thinking "Hmm, now there's a solution in search of a problem!" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry, and how the hell is that a solution to an empty wallet or credit card charges? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What I meant was: Why would anyone need aluminum hubs for a 14-bolt FF? The iron ones seem to hold up just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BAJA_BLAZER

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not run the Sandy Cone 40 spline spool...then you can run the 40 spline 300M shafts as well.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="blue">The spool is over $400 and those axles cost me $800 to $1200 depending on who I get them through and if they are "Gun Drilled" and then I would have to buy some 40-spline Drive Plates that fit the 14Bff Hubs. The goal here was a low cost Full Floater</font>

14. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Mac just posted up on Pirate about Randy's building a Full Spool for the 14 Bolt. Look for it in about 2 months - price is around $250

15. tRustyK5

I can think of a couple of reasons. First it would drop unsprung weight by a considerable amount. Secondly it leaves the lug pattern open to be whatever you needed it to be (without adaptors). It would certainly get the 14 bolt down to D60 weight in a hurry.

Rene

16. BAJA_BLAZER

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    What I am trying to do is build a cheap but reliable 5 on 5.5" Full Floater Prerunner Rear Axle for Full-sized Trucks with 35" to 37" Tires and 450Hp. Right now the options are $3500 to $6000 Custom Ford 9" Axles or $6000 to $12000 Chrisman’s and others. I think the 14Bff is the answer. You guys have proved how tough it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is tough but if you are desert racing doesnt the unsprung weight become an issue? A Dana 60 FF may be a better option if you want to save a little weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Weight sprung and unsprung are definitely an issue. Once these axles are re-tubed, trussed and plated they weigh a ton and the marginal weight difference is less significant. </font>

17. BAJA_BLAZER

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, those do look swanky!!!

Seeing those things make you go, "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm." /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Crap! Now my brains going in full speed after seeing that pic! Make me start planning some changes now. Damn you, Jelles! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I talked to Grady today and they are $259 each with wheel studs and studs for the axle flange. He has them in 6 on 5.5" and 5 on 5.5" and you use the brake rotors with the same lug pattern. I think they are a pretty good product to consider.</font>

18. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

You need to run at least a 1350 joint. I broke two stock shafts. Dutchman Motorsports made me a set and I ran them for 5 plus years with 44" tires-no problems /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    You need to run at least a 1350 joint. I broke two stock shafts. Dutchman Motorsports made me a set and I ran them for 5 plus years with 44" tires-no problems /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather run 1410 joint. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only advantage of a 1410 over 1350 is angle, both use the same size cap.