Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need A 9" hydro ram!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CCRider, Mar 11, 2003.

1. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Need A 9\" hydro ram!!!

I have exactly 9" of travel left to right and love the turning radius , and would like to NOT limit it with an 8" ram , does anyone know who makes a 1.5 or 1.75 dia 9" travel ram??? Thanks...........CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Need A 9\" hydro ram!!!

You can contact Matt of West Texas Off Road and see if his supplier has them. I believe he can get a bunch of different sizes for different applications...

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How did you get 9" of travel? Did you remove the stops? Or did you get it by using longer arms where the tie rod attaches. Reason I ask is the stops on the knuckles are there due to limitations with the u-joint in the knuckle. If you try to turn past the stops in 4WD, you will probably spit out a u-joint even under no stress. Just thought I would mention it as I don't know if that is what you are trying to do....

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Good question. I have a D60 with the 8" ram and it will go stop to stop.

5. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Can anyone confirm the spitting out of a 1410 axle joint , with the stops removed ??? I figured if I can get 9" without the stops , I could use it , it turns an awesome radius!!!!as tight as a new tj with 38's!! i also thought about it spitting out the joint , but the angle is no more than a new tj , and only slightly more than a stock 44 . I know it will stress them the more angle you have on them , thats why I got the spicer forged joints and 35 spline outers to strengthen the beeeeotch up !! any more input??? if worse came to worse I would install the stops for wheeling and remove them for daily driving , parking lots are a breeze with the turning radius I have now!!!! I'd hate to give it up If I don't have to .................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

get a 10" cylinder and have a 1" stroke limiter put in.

7. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Who makes it and why wouldn't they make a 9" ram???.CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Northern probably. 8's and 10's are cheap. Custom stuff isn't.

9. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I can make you one for around 175, but there will probably be about a 1-2 week wait.

10. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Sounds reasonable matt , do you see any problems with the u-joint /steering angle issue from above ? I looked at it again and the u-joint doesn't hit itself or anything , and angle does'nt look too terrible. Thanks.........CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif