Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need A/C help/advise for my 94 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by marv_springer, Sep 20, 2004.

1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Ok... here's the deal:

Changing valve cover gaskets on my Tahoe this weekend, and I guess the hi pressure hose going from the compressor to the condensor has been rubbin' up against the battery tray like Jenna Jameson rubbin' a ..... er .... well - anyway,

I lean against it and - ppfffftttt!... there goes all my R12 freon... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So, I wanna replace the hose, compressor, dryer, and go w/ R134. Who knows how to do this? what's the best way? ....or has some advice?!?!?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Marv

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Leave it r-12 and I can work something out on bringing home some r414a from work , which will drop right in , and keeps my tan 83 ice cold /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ummm, yer '94 should have 134A in it already.......'93 was the last year GM put R12 in their trucks.

I can hook you up either way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

4. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    '93 was the last year GM put R12 in their trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Pretty sure this one is original.... and I'm sure that R12 is in it, cuz I had it charged at a buddy's shop a few years ago and watched him do it...

So... if it IS R12, and I wanna convert to R134... any complications if I change the components that I described? Is the compressor any different for R134? Anybody got a line on a good price for a rebuilt?

Funny..... I used to charge A/C systems back in the 80's. But it was different then /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif - freon was plentiful & cheap - hell, I used to chase the cockroaches around the gas station w/ it and freeze 'em... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

But now it's all different and I feel so dumb. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Oh... and what the hell is R414... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Marv

5. mosesburb

Not tough to convert if necessary. Do the charge fittings have external threads or are they quick disconnect style??

Do NOT(!!) even think about a reman compressor unless you really like A/C problems. New compressors are close enough in price to not make reman worth the chances (might get a good one, but probably won't).

6. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh... and what the hell is R414..

[/ QUOTE ]

It is "Hotshot" and I sell it to appliance techs to recharge 'fridges . It will work in r12 and r 134a systems . In r-12 systems you use 80 percent of the original r12 amount ( say if its 10 oz you use 8 oz instead ) . Nine dollars a can , I have a tap to go from the can to my r12 gauges , and I use my friends account to buy it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

8. marv_springer

[ QUOTE ]
    Ummm, yer '94 should have 134A in it already.......'93 was the last year GM put R12 in their trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

UPDATE!.... Ok... Nick's right! I'm a bonehead! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

It's R134. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Marv

9. pauly383

Ok , so if you are 134a , just go to Autozone and buy 2 cans with the hose preattached , then fill . I CHEATED ( and it worked ) on my wifes old Sentra ( 1997 ) and filled it until it blew cold /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. mosesburb

How do you get the air out of the system doing it that way??

11. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you get the air out of the system doing it that way??

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't worry about it on my wife's old Sentra , I hated that car . I only charged it because she complained . When I had to replace the engine , the dumbasses who did it released the freon and didn't tell us . I found it didn't matter though , didn't use anything but the freon cans and it was fine for over 2 years until I finally got her to let me trade it for a Chevy . I don't forsee a problem just sticking some r134a in there , but if you have a pump do Marv up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BTW , I sell the units , but they are pricey and I am poor , so thats another reason for not using a pump /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mosesburb

You need to be real careful doing that because 134A when mixed with oxygen becomes a combustible mixture when pressurized. Evacuation of the system is a must-do.
    Good A/C shops will pressure test systems with nitrogen to get away from putting shop air in the lines to check for leaks on an empty system.

13. pauly383

Agreed /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I do however notice too many people buying the stuff at Autozone just sticking it in . /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ( being lighthearted , I would do it right if I could , but my "Hobbies" cost /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif )