Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need A/C help - it is getting hot.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Apr 21, 2006.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Well, it's time.
    I need to hook up a compressor and tie it in to the existing stuff. I need to get a compressor, preferably with a v-belt and it must be a radial type -short and fat. Also, I'll need new lines. The long big compressor that came with the 1978 Blazer won't easily fit.

I will replace the accumulator/dryer.

So
    1) Did they make a radial with a v-belt?
    2) Will newer model chevy truck hoses that fit the radial compressor also tie i
    into the existing system? Same fittings? Same length?
    3) Also with #2, did the radial go on the driver side? It'll have to go driver side on my truck due to no room on passenger side.

I'll be yardin' tomorrow looking at different setups and looking for a pulley to go on the existing crank pulley.

I would prefer to get a v-belt because I have a rebuilt york compressor that I want to use for onboard air.

But this brings up another point - could I use the york for the A/C?

Now, I am putting this on a 4bt, so mounting issues will be the same no matter what. I just have to get the compressor right side up so the oil will sit correctly.

If I went with the york - I think it came in a F*rd truck. Would you know if the lines would fit? It looks like it would be easier to mount by far.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmm, well I'd look for braketry off of a Dodge Cummins, since the everything should be the same between a 6bt and 4bt.

3. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

What kind of compressor do they have?