Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a count of the needle bearings in the tailshaft for a 205.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Oct 7, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took the tailshaft off to let Donovan machine it for my speedo crap. When I removed it, all the needle bearings fell out. I gathered them all up and put them in a Zip-Loc bag along with the big ball bearing. Well, I finally got around to putting it back together tonight. Started putting the needle bearings in with wheel bearing grease, and it looks like I'm missing one. I counted them, and came up with 45. There looks to be just enough space in the race for one more. Am I ok with 45 or am I missing one? If so, it's either on the trailer it's sitting on, or it's in the case. If it's in the case, anyone got a good way of getting it out without taking the big lower cover off? Thanks.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

In the words of the Drill Sgt. from Full Metal Jacket, "None of you dumbasses knows?" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Take no offense, it's just a joke.

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what bearings you are referring to???? The tail shaft in my 205 had 15 large needle bearings in it. No where near 45. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mike

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Take a look and lets us know what # in the pic...on the bottom of the page.web page

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

I swear to it. It's not the outer tailshaft bearing, it's the inner one, closest to the case itself. Maybe I've just got a weird 205. Either I can't count or those things are fooling me.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

it says i'm not the owner of the page and can't look at it

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

book says 2 rows of 32 each in 2 diff places

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

let me go recount it real quick to make sure i'm not a total idiot and haven't smoked myself retarded (Marlboro not Marijuana) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

try the money pit link

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

#28 on that page. i just counted and it's 45 that i've got. stamped on the bearing race is Kaydon and Made in USA. i would've gotten the serial # but i didn't have anything to write on. my 205 is the 465 version with a 30 spline front output.

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

Whatcha know TONYP?

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's 15/28 in the money pit pictures. There is no official bearing count as they are not like the 15 loose (uncaged) needle bearings between the front input and rear output shaft and not like the 2 loose sets of 32 on each output shaft and they are not like the caged ball bearings you see on the rear of rear ouput housing. The bearings he speaks of are the ones in the front of the rear output housing. The are in a half-assed cage (that is why the fall out). When I dissassemble them I always put in new bearings, which come as a complete assembley with a cage that holds them in place so I have never had to count them. I would go down to GM and get the replacement bearing assembly (or see if they have one in stock and see if they will let you count the needle bearings). I'll see if I have any spare output housings laying around with bearings and give you a count, but I don't remember if I have any with bearings still in them.