Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a couple pics of brackets on a big block

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I'm about ready to put accessories back on a 1989 454. I am not positive about which brackets my power steering uses and exactly where they bolt up on the block. It had A/C but I'm not using that but I'm not sure if the power steering brackets tied into the A/C brackets. Also changing to headers but I don't think that matters with the power steering brackets.

Anyway, could someone post a couple pics of their power steering bracket setup on a big block of this similar era. Thanks!

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

GM was really confused on which brackets to use on the '89 454. It depended on the final vehicle application and options. Some trucks used "V" belts, some used serpentine belts and some (like mine) used a mix. Assuming that your PS uses a "V" belt it should mount on the lower left hand side of the block (drivers side). The first bracket bolts to the back of the pump and to the front of the block the second bracket bolts to the front of the pump and to a 1/2" bolt on the water pump. I don't have access to a digital camera but I hope my description helps.

Mike

3. Yukon Jack

Mine uses the mixture of belts also, it's the old cab body style so I think that is the reason. I'll do some looking at my brackets some more and see if anyone else has a pic by chance. It probably will make sense now.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

5. Yukon Jack

Thanks, mine brackets I think are a bit different but that helps.

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The pictures that Harry posted will be a good start. If you have the mixture of belts then you should have the following.

The PS pump is located in the lower left hand side on its own brackets. You should have a three groove pulley. The deepest groove is dedicated to the PS pump and crank. You should also have a remote reservoir that bolts to the altenator bracket.

The AC sits above the PS pump on several brackets. The middle groove on the PS pump and crank is shared with the PS pump, AC and water pump.

The altenator sits on the top right hand side on two brackets. It uses a serpentine belt that is shared with the crank, water pump, and AIR system.

The AIR pump sits under the altenator using the same two brackets. You need this pump if you have emmissions inspections.

If you don't use the AC then you can run the two "V" belts for the PS pump or the use the center belt for the PS pump and water pump for some redundancy if a belt breaks.

Good luck,

Mike

7. Yukon Jack

Thanks for the detailed info. I should have taken better pics before disassembly - lesson learned.

So from you description the A/C brackets are completely separate from the power steering brackets - that is what I am hoping.

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

IIRC yes. I will verify tonight.
    Mike

9. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I checked on the brackets last night. The PS pump does not use any of the AC brackets or bolt holes. It is a three piece bracket not two piece. The rear bracket bolts to the face of the block and the there is another small bracket that goes to side of the block under the #1 plug. It bolts to the removable stud on the rear of the PS pump.
    Good luck,

Mike

10. Yukon Jack

Thanks a lot for the info, that will help me and sweet that it doesn't tie into the a/c. This will save me some head scratching for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif