Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a crate motor where is the best place to buy one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Monster, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Monster

Monster Registered Member

My K5 was eating antifreeze but i had no clue where it was going. No white smoke, oil is fine, and heater core is not leaking. She runs like a raped ape but loses a quart or so of antifreeze a day. So I changed the head gaskets and put on a new intake and carb. After all that work I am back to where I started. Now I want a new crate motor Could someone tell me the best place to buy one Thanks.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Its all about the benjamin's. Do you want to spend $750 or $75,000. A good old small block GM crate motor is an easy and reliable way to go because you can order one from a local GM dealer and since its GM, it is delivered by angels and assembled in heaven /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif !! Or Edelbrock makes them now with the performer package already installed (intake, can, carb) for $3k or so. And there is always the local auto parts store. I was quoted $750 once for a long block from Jocko's.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

4. johnnysjimmy

johnnysjimmy Registered Member

I bought a new crate motor from scoggins dickey for 1379 plus shipping and I love it

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Where have you found the Edelbrock crate engines that cheap? I haven't seen one listed for less than around $4,700. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Do they have a low budget line as well? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Jed

Jed Registered Member

I managed to find a local dealer who is a member of both AERA and PERA. These are professional engine rebuilder associations. You can find their member companies at www.aera.org and www.pera.org. Having a local dealer makes warranty stuff a bit less hassle.

As for losing the coolant check that your overflow tank is hooked up properly. If you let it stay 1 quart low does it continue to get lower or does it stay just 1 quart low? If you have an automatic tranny you might check the fluid to see if looks like a strawberry milkshake (I doubt it if you're losing a quart a day tho)

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I got one at the parts store. It's been an awsome motor!

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Uhhh, I meant $4000....oops...

9. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

A word of advice, if you buy one with a warranty you might want to have it installed by a ASE certified mechanic. My cousin got a GM crate motor and installed it himself and it spun a bearing a couple months later (most likely his fault not GM) but they wouldnt honor the warranty and fix it cuz it wasnt installed by a certified mechanic.

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

SAE or ASE?

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

GM is factory building 383 strokers for about $2400, guess what my next motor is gonna be, c'mon guess, betcha can.

12. HarryH3

Time to do a price check. You're gonna need to save up a LOT more pennies than you're planning. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The 383 from GM goes for WAY more than they said they were gonna sell 'em for. The pre-introduction price was tantalizingly low. But the release kept getting delayed and delayed again. When the 383 finally became available, the price had skyrocketed to $3,900! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Check it out here: http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=120&pid=465

Still a great engine, but you're getting into the price range of a big block...

13. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Man, was I ever lied to, guess the old piggy bank is going to have to get a belly ache before this happens. I got my price at a saturn dealership back in november. It was for that exact motor too. They had a high end model for a lot more, but who really needs 500 hp, don't answer that.

14. HarryH3

I feel your pain. I've already got a TPI 383 in my K5, so I'm all too aware of how great a 383 is for torque. I was all set to buy one of the GM 383's for my '90 Sub until they went insane on the pricing. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif So I picked up a used 454 instead. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif