Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need a Good 4x4 Shop Near Lynchbyrg VA to Re-Gear Cheap!!!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by 350350, Oct 17, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys!

I'm new to Lynchburg, VA, and need to get my truck regeared. Badly. It's got 33's and 2.73 gears!!! I want to go to 4.11's or 5.13's in anticipation of at least 35's in the near future.

I don't get to 'wheel as much as I used to and it will be a year or two before I get to, so I figure my 10-bolt/12-bolt setup in my '77 K5 will hold up to 35's with 5.13's with a rear locker for mostly winter driving and probably 2 trail rides per year max.

When I get back into wheeling more often and more serious (I'll be taking my 4 year old son with me so I won't be so radical when I go like I used to be...) about the fun I'll go to full 1-ton running gear...

Anyway, can anyone point me toward a reputable 4x4 shop that can regear for me and toss out rough price estimates? If it gets too expensive I may just spend some extra cash and go ahead with the 1-ton gear now...

Cheers,
    Paul

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Paul, I don't know of anyone in Lynchburg for gearing but I know a couple people here in Roanoke. The best I have found charges $125 an axle for labor, which is really good in this area. It is a shop called Front Page Automotive, might want to give him a shout if you can't find anyone local.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

If you havent purchased the gears yet when you do I suggest getting them from DC4WD. Scott knows the guy and me along with a bunch of us in the 4x4 club use him. He's a great guy to deal with. DC

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

So do you guys think I could get both diffs regeared for under $600, including labor and both gearsets??? That would be awesome!

The only problem I see is that the carriers are 2-series and I would be going to 3+ carriers, and as long as the 'thick gears' are available in the ratios I want, I'd be OK, but if I had to change differentials as well as gears, it wouldn't be worth the cost.

Of course now would be the perfect time to put a posi in the front to complement the rear locker... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Would you believe my 27 year old locker still works flawlessly, even when I put it in Lo-Lok with the front hubs locked out and do 33" tire burnouts for our Friday Night Parking Lot burount contests??? The Guys at work are always impressed with that! It works pretty hard even in low gear, but with 4.11's I could really put on a smoke show! I have a good set of tires waiting to go on after I redo the front end, so I can waste the tires that are on it now...

Whew... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Babble Babble Babble... Got a lot to do. Interview in Winston-Salem tomorrow. I really don't want to leave my job, I have it really good, my boss is Awesome, (HE is the instigator of the burnout contests!!!) and I work with some really great guys. However, my company just filed bankruptcy and is restructuring and there is gossip of closing the tech center (where I work) or moving it to Detroilet. I lived near Detroilet for a couple of years, and I was far enough away that no stray bullets were headed my way, but I still wouldn't live there again for any amount of money just because of the weather. So I have to be prepared.

This interview is with BE Aerospace and would be a step up in pay and a good step out of automotive into a more stable industry. But less stable for my family, because of another move in less than a year, and my son is 4 and he was just making friends in IN when we moved, and he just started preschool here and has friends here now too... It really sucks. I'm not going to get left out in the cold without a job though. The last time a company told me, "Don't worry, your job is safe, trust me..." it was a month before I was out on my ass with a "Sorry we lied about all that but we had to protect our own interests and all... And I had a baby on the way and a 2 year old son... My boss is a VERY honest person and ethical and wouldn't do that, but the people above him would in a second without telling him it was coming.

A LOT to think about. I guess I'm thinking way too far ahead since I don't even have the job offer yet. Got to go through the interview first. They make aircraft interiors for all of the major aircraft manufacturers, as well as just about anything you see inside an airplane like the food serving carts and cabinets, etc.

Anyway, I plan to stay in the Carolinas or Virginia if possible. If I could stay in Lynchburg I'd be thrilled.

Wish me luck! Interview is tomorrow and I may leave tonight just to make sure I don't get lost and be late.

Thanks for the info, I'll check into the shop and get some prices. I have to redo my front tie rods, steering box and pump, and steering column first so the damned thing is safe to drive on the road, and then it gets regeared.

Cheers,
    Paul

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You could probalby do it for under $600 if you did not use master rebuild kits. Although if it were me I would go with 4.56 gears instead of 4.10's. When I had 4.10's 33's were fine, but moving up to 35's I wish I had 4.56's. So it will give you room to grow.

6. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You could probalby do it for under $600 if you did not use master rebuild kits. Although if it were me I would go with 4.56 gears instead of 4.10's. When I had 4.10's 33's were fine, but moving up to 35's I wish I had 4.56's. So it will give you room to grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

You talked me into it! 4.56's it is!!!